TRIBUTES have been paid to a Metro taxi driver who was found hanged from Barrow Bridge.
The Metro Cars driver — named locally as Asif Policewala — and his abandoned vehicle were found by a passer-by off Barrow Bridge Road at about 7.30am this morning.
The man had worked for the Bolton firm for more than 15 years and is believed to be a father to young children.
Nick Astley, owner of Metro Cars, said staff and fellow taxi drivers are “devastated” about the loss of Mr Policewala.
Mr Astley, who lives in Darwen, added: “It is an extremely upsetting time for all of us. Asif had been driving with us from the very beginning.
“None of us can believe what has happened. It has come as a terrible shock to everyone at the firm and he will be greatly missed.
"I cannot imagine what his family must be going through and my thoughts go out to them as this very sad time.”
Friends also paid tribute to Mr Policewala on Twitter.
Imran Patel wrote: "Sad news about a dear friend Asif found hung in #bolton. Will never forget our trip to #Palestine. Rip brother."
Police condoned off Barrow Bridge for an hour while firefighters and ambulance crews attended the incident.
- Newport Street elephants to be moved
- Rapist claims he was asleep while having sex with two women
- Paedophile rapist sexually assaulted four young girls
- 'Arrogant' dog walker failed to clean up poo - despite being pursued by council officers
- Mistaken identity error plunges innocent dad into Kafkaesque nightmare over unpaid train ticket
Mr Policewala was declared dead at the scene.
A police spokesman said: “We are not treating this man’s death as suspicious.”