Toddler 'left for dead' by Daubhill hit and run driver

Safa Ally has recovered after suffering cuts and bruises in a hit and run incident

Safa Ally has recovered after suffering cuts and bruises in a hit and run incident

First published in News
Last updated
The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , politics reporter

THE family of a toddler knocked down by a hit-and-run driver say they feared she was dead as she lay in the road.

Little Safa Ally was hit by a red Vauxhall Astra on Sunday afternoon after she opened her front gate and ran into the road while playing in the garden outside her home in St Helens Road, Daubhill.

Her grandfather — who was fixing a car seat at the time — saw the accident and took the 18-month-old toddler inside and called an ambulance.

After a night in the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, Safa is now back at home with just cuts and bruises — and the family say they forgive the car driver despite their ordeal.

Aunt Sabiha Ally said: “When a kid runs out between two cars accidents can happen.”

But she said the family feared the worst after the accident, which happened at about 12.30pm.

She said: “When my dad picked her up off the road, she was unconscious and he was distraught.

“He kept saying ‘She’s gone, she’s gone’ but, after a few minutes, she was crying and started moving her arms and legs, so we knew she was okay. Then we called an ambulance.”

St Helens Road was closed off to traffic for several hours as police combed the road for clues of the car, which stopped for a few seconds before driving off.

The driver, thought to be an elderly man, has still not been traced, but a police spokesman said they had found the car.


MORE:


Sabiha said the family did not want any action to be taken against the driver if he is found.

She added: “We’re all drivers, so we empathise with the driver.

“Thankfully, he did brake when he did and he wasn’t speeding, and because it was a Sunday it wasn’t that busy.

“We understand that the driver panicked. We don’t blame him. We’re not interested in following it up, but the police obviously need to catch up with the driver.

“We’re just thankful she’s not more hurt.”

Safa’s father, Javid Ally, said he had been “heartbroken” to hear what had happened but that the family was now starting to get back to normal.

He added: “It takes a while for us all to recover from the shock of something like this, but we are okay now and, most importantly, Safa is okay. Her injuries are mainly just cuts and scratches.

“I wasn’t at home at the time, but when my sister phoned me to tell me what had happened I didn’t believe it. I was distraught and heartbroken.

“Of course, I am very relieved and I think we just want to forget what happened now and move on and make sure that Safa is okay.”

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:44am Fri 11 Apr 14

JustBecause says...

"We understand that the driver panicked. We don’t blame him. We’re not interested in following it up, but the police obviously need to catch up with the driver."

Glad she's ok, and a very sobering attitude, my thoughts would have been on stringing the **** up, but fair play to you guys, your dealing with what's important. Big thumbs up.
"We understand that the driver panicked. We don’t blame him. We’re not interested in following it up, but the police obviously need to catch up with the driver." Glad she's ok, and a very sobering attitude, my thoughts would have been on stringing the **** up, but fair play to you guys, your dealing with what's important. Big thumbs up. JustBecause
  • Score: 24

8:48am Fri 11 Apr 14

Wolfie190 says...

'The driver, thought to be an elderly man, has still not been traced, but a police spokesman said they had found the car.'

Under normal circumstances the police would go round to the home the car is registered at and bingo but round there its all smoke and mirrors the cars if registered at all are not in the drivers names they're uncles, grandparents, bosses, companies, next door neighbours aunties, or hire cars. Basically if the police see you drug dealing, trying to entice underage English girls into your car or no insurance etc if the police just get your reg number they WONT be turning up at your home they have a job on trying to find you.
'The driver, thought to be an elderly man, has still not been traced, but a police spokesman said they had found the car.' Under normal circumstances the police would go round to the home the car is registered at and bingo but round there its all smoke and mirrors the cars if registered at all are not in the drivers names they're uncles, grandparents, bosses, companies, next door neighbours aunties, or hire cars. Basically if the police see you drug dealing, trying to entice underage English girls into your car or no insurance etc if the police just get your reg number they WONT be turning up at your home they have a job on trying to find you. Wolfie190
  • Score: -12

9:14am Fri 11 Apr 14

oftbewildered2 says...

the man left the scene of an accident in which a person and/or property was damaged. Offence. I can understand where the family are coming from with regard to the little girl, but it is out of their hands.
the man left the scene of an accident in which a person and/or property was damaged. Offence. I can understand where the family are coming from with regard to the little girl, but it is out of their hands. oftbewildered2
  • Score: 8

9:20am Fri 11 Apr 14

goldie47 says...

if caught....the **** will only get community service....at most
if caught....the **** will only get community service....at most goldie47
  • Score: 6

12:01pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Beyond News Forum says...

There are so many contradictions in the BN report. Has the law gone completely off the rails?

You can bet your wage packet that if the driver had been involved in an armed robbery driving away in HIS car, he would have been caught and sentenced to 15-years by now.
There are so many contradictions in the BN report. Has the law gone completely off the rails? You can bet your wage packet that if the driver had been involved in an armed robbery driving away in HIS car, he would have been caught and sentenced to 15-years by now. Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 3

12:11pm Fri 11 Apr 14

boltonnut says...

Glad the little girl is recovering.About the family not wanting to take any action,I think Wolfie made some very valid points.
Glad the little girl is recovering.About the family not wanting to take any action,I think Wolfie made some very valid points. boltonnut
  • Score: 0

12:33pm Fri 11 Apr 14

always lancastrian says...

Glad to see the little girl is on the mend.
The attitude of the family is to be commended, rather than just running to the nearest 'ambulance chasing' solicitor.
However, as someone said before, the cowardly criminal act should be followed through by the Police.
Glad to see the little girl is on the mend. The attitude of the family is to be commended, rather than just running to the nearest 'ambulance chasing' solicitor. However, as someone said before, the cowardly criminal act should be followed through by the Police. always lancastrian
  • Score: 4

2:53pm Fri 11 Apr 14

BlueRay79 says...

You say he wasn't speeding and was elderly. Why was the child in the road? Was she being walked with an adult? If so, why did the car not hit the adult? Something smelly fishy to me....if that was my child and a car was coming towards us, I'd have grabbed her quickly, you can't say the car just appeared as they have stated the car was not speeding.

Something not right about this story.
You say he wasn't speeding and was elderly. Why was the child in the road? Was she being walked with an adult? If so, why did the car not hit the adult? Something smelly fishy to me....if that was my child and a car was coming towards us, I'd have grabbed her quickly, you can't say the car just appeared as they have stated the car was not speeding. Something not right about this story. BlueRay79
  • Score: -4

3:15pm Fri 11 Apr 14

brian jones says...

If the child ran into the road, and the driver was not at fault, then they have no case for a claim. The fact that he left the scene is an entirely separate matter. You don't become liable for an accident because you failed to stop.
If the child ran into the road, and the driver was not at fault, then they have no case for a claim. The fact that he left the scene is an entirely separate matter. You don't become liable for an accident because you failed to stop. brian jones
  • Score: -1

3:37pm Fri 11 Apr 14

BlueRay79 says...

brian jones wrote:
If the child ran into the road, and the driver was not at fault, then they have no case for a claim. The fact that he left the scene is an entirely separate matter. You don't become liable for an accident because you failed to stop.
I thought you were supposed to stop by law, regardless of who's fault it is? That's what I was always told, but don't know if it's the case.
[quote][p][bold]brian jones[/bold] wrote: If the child ran into the road, and the driver was not at fault, then they have no case for a claim. The fact that he left the scene is an entirely separate matter. You don't become liable for an accident because you failed to stop.[/p][/quote]I thought you were supposed to stop by law, regardless of who's fault it is? That's what I was always told, but don't know if it's the case. BlueRay79
  • Score: 4

5:12pm Fri 11 Apr 14

brian jones says...

BlueRay79 wrote:
brian jones wrote:
If the child ran into the road, and the driver was not at fault, then they have no case for a claim. The fact that he left the scene is an entirely separate matter. You don't become liable for an accident because you failed to stop.
I thought you were supposed to stop by law, regardless of who's fault it is? That's what I was always told, but don't know if it's the case.
Yes, you are.
[quote][p][bold]BlueRay79[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brian jones[/bold] wrote: If the child ran into the road, and the driver was not at fault, then they have no case for a claim. The fact that he left the scene is an entirely separate matter. You don't become liable for an accident because you failed to stop.[/p][/quote]I thought you were supposed to stop by law, regardless of who's fault it is? That's what I was always told, but don't know if it's the case.[/p][/quote]Yes, you are. brian jones
  • Score: 4

5:29pm Fri 11 Apr 14

John578 says...

BlueRay79 wrote:
You say he wasn't speeding and was elderly. Why was the child in the road? Was she being walked with an adult? If so, why did the car not hit the adult? Something smelly fishy to me....if that was my child and a car was coming towards us, I'd have grabbed her quickly, you can't say the car just appeared as they have stated the car was not speeding.

Something not right about this story.
You obviously can't read, the child was playing in the garden and ran off into the road while her grandfather was fixing a car seat as it happened, he must have caught a glimpse of the driver there and then.
[quote][p][bold]BlueRay79[/bold] wrote: You say he wasn't speeding and was elderly. Why was the child in the road? Was she being walked with an adult? If so, why did the car not hit the adult? Something smelly fishy to me....if that was my child and a car was coming towards us, I'd have grabbed her quickly, you can't say the car just appeared as they have stated the car was not speeding. Something not right about this story.[/p][/quote]You obviously can't read, the child was playing in the garden and ran off into the road while her grandfather was fixing a car seat as it happened, he must have caught a glimpse of the driver there and then. John578
  • Score: 5

11:20pm Fri 11 Apr 14

James Bond 007 says...

John578 wrote:
BlueRay79 wrote:
You say he wasn't speeding and was elderly. Why was the child in the road? Was she being walked with an adult? If so, why did the car not hit the adult? Something smelly fishy to me....if that was my child and a car was coming towards us, I'd have grabbed her quickly, you can't say the car just appeared as they have stated the car was not speeding.

Something not right about this story.
You obviously can't read, the child was playing in the garden and ran off into the road while her grandfather was fixing a car seat as it happened, he must have caught a glimpse of the driver there and then.
BlueRay79 you clearly can't read you dipstick, what part of this article do you find fishy???
[quote][p][bold]John578[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BlueRay79[/bold] wrote: You say he wasn't speeding and was elderly. Why was the child in the road? Was she being walked with an adult? If so, why did the car not hit the adult? Something smelly fishy to me....if that was my child and a car was coming towards us, I'd have grabbed her quickly, you can't say the car just appeared as they have stated the car was not speeding. Something not right about this story.[/p][/quote]You obviously can't read, the child was playing in the garden and ran off into the road while her grandfather was fixing a car seat as it happened, he must have caught a glimpse of the driver there and then.[/p][/quote]BlueRay79 you clearly can't read you dipstick, what part of this article do you find fishy??? James Bond 007
  • Score: -1

11:24pm Fri 11 Apr 14

James Bond 007 says...

Wish Safa a speedy recovery.
Wish Safa a speedy recovery. James Bond 007
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree