XBox mission for 12-year-old who almost died from toxic shock syndrome
A BRAVE 12-year-old boy who almost died from toxic shock syndrome has launched an appeal to ensure poorly youngsters have access to Xboxes at the Royal Bolton Hospital.
Macenzie Campbell, of Gisburn Avenue in Johnson Fold, developed the potentially fatal infection after a large blister burst on his foot, causing a red rash all over his body.
As his temperature began to soar, his mum Joanne Campbell took Macenzie to their GP, who said he should be admitted to the Royal Bolton immediately.
The rash started to turn black as the infection attacked his organs, which were beginning to shut down. Hospital staff warned Macenzie’s family he may not survive the ordeal.
The youngster, who attends Smithills School, said: “It was terrifying. I wasn’t only scared for myself, I was scared for my family. It had seemed like a normal blister, but I gradually started to feel worse and worse.
“I felt sick, everything was blurry and my heart was racing. I didn’t know what was going on.”
His grandmother, Kate Campbell, of Chipping Road in Johnson Fold, said: “We thought we were going to lose him. He was ringing all of us in case he didn’t make it.
“We were told afterwards he was only a few hours from death. The sepsis was gradually shutting his body down. We were distraught.”
Surgeons operated on Macenzie’s foot to remove the infected tissue and he began to make an astonishing recovery.
To give him some comfort, he was put into a side room and allowed to use the paediatric unit’s only Xbox.
But the caring youngster felt guilty about using the games console when there were so many other poorly children on the ward.
Now he has pledged to write to entertainment stores and businesses to donate Xboxes to the Royal Bolton Hospital.
He added: “It was so nice of them to let me have my own room and use the Xbox. It helped me take my mind off everything that was happening. But I felt bad for the other kids who couldn’t use it.
“The staff were amazing and always explained things so I understood my illness and treatment. Now I want to give something back to say thank you.”
Macenzie is now recovering at home.
Comments are closed on this article.