UPDATED: Fire at Market Place shopping centre
A FIRE broke out at The Market Place Shopping Centre this morning.
Firefighters were called after a blaze started in the sign of a shop on the ground floor of the building.
Crews from Wigan, who were providing cover at Bolton Central fire station, attended at about 10.15am.
When they arrived, the centre's maintenence staff had already managed to isolate the electricity supply and the fire service were able to check that the area was safe.
A faulty light fitting had caused the sign to overheat and produce smoke.
It was not deemed necessary to evacuate the shopping centre.
Comments are closed on this article.