FIREFIGHTERS tackled a kitchen fire at a house in Halliwell last night after the occupant fell asleep while cooking.
Firefighters from Bolton Central fire station visited the house in Peterhead Close at 11pm after being contacted by the residents' neighbours.
The resident, a man believed to be in his late 30s, had began cooking food in a pan when he fell asleep in his living room.
His neighbours raised the alarm when they head his smoke alarm - which he slept through.
The man, who was the only person in the house at the time, was woken up by firefighters when they banged on the front door.
He escaped unhurt.
The house suffered minor smoke damage and firefighters were at the scene for about 15 minutes.
A fire service spokesman said: "If we hadn't have been alerted to this incident, the outcome could have been a lot worse.
"Please can people ensure that, if they are cooking, they do not fall asleep."