THE driver of a car that ploughed into a Farnworth house while a family was sitting outside has handed himself in to police.
The 27-year-old man, who asked not to be named, said the incident on Sunday evening, in which he drove the car into house in Harper Green Road and then left the scene was “the worst thing he has ever done”.
The man, who contacted The Bolton News claiming to be the driver, said he had been forced to swerve out of the way of a car travelling towards him in Harper Green Road.
He said he lost control of his red Lexus, causing him to crash through a front garden and smash into the house.
He said the crash has left him with three broken ribs and bad bruising on his leg.
Mum-of-one, Donna Stewart, was in the garden with her daughter Angel, aged 11, niece Ebony, aged nine, and her next door neighbour’s daughter, Jordanna, aged three, when the car careered towards them.
Miss Stewart, who was holding Jordanna at the time, threw the toddler out of the way as the car narrowly avoided where they had been sitting.
Angel and Ebony, who were at the front door, had to move quickly as the car drove right at them and crashed into the entrance to the house.
The driver said he “panicked” after the crash, adding: “The other car came onto my side and I swerved out of the way. As I lost control and went into the house I thought I was going to die.
- Winter is coming: Huge snow slide will be Christmas attraction in Bolton town centre
- Family of Alan Henning sent audio file of aid worker 'pleading for his life'
- JAILED: Drug dealer caught in churchyard with £1,000 of crack and heroin 'between his bottom cheeks'
- Firefighters scrambled after false alarm house fire threat call
- Shopping centre will host student event with Geordie Shore's Holly Hagan tomorrow night
“There were a lot of people screaming and shouting at me at the time and I panicked and ran off.
"I wish I hadn’t done that but I was scared. I was crying and I was scared — I’ve only had my licence for three years.
“I am lucky to be alive and lucky that I didn’t hurt anyone. I am so gutted about what happened. I want to put things right as soon as I can.”
He said he went to hospital on Sunday night and contacted the police on Monday morning.
Miss Stewart said the driver’s apology meant nothing to her family.
She said: “He has destroyed our family. We are all still so cut up about it.
"Him apologising and going to the police has not made me feel any better at all.
"Me and the girls could have been killed because of him.”
A police spokesman said: “We can confirm that the man in question has made contact with the police and will be spoken to when the officer involved returns to work.”