THE headteacher of Ladybridge Primary School in Bolton has been suspended.
Colin Watson has been relieved of his duties “pending an internal investigation”.
The nature of the allegations, leading to the suspension, has not been revealed, but education chiefs both at the school and the council stress it is not related to safeguarding issues.
It is understood Mr Watson has been suspended for a few weeks and letters were sent home to parents on Monday.
The letter states: “I am writing to inform you that the headteacher, Colin Watson, has recently been suspended from school pending an ongoing internal investigation.
"Suspension is a neutral act and is used to protect all parties whilst the investigation continues.
“Whilst I appreciate that you may be concerned regarding the content of this letter, I would like to reassure parents that there are no concerns around the safeguarding of children.
“We would strongly recommend that parents do not discuss this matter on social media channels such as Facebook or Twitter.”
Deputy headteacher Julie Hignett is acting headteacher while the investigation takes place.
The letter concludes: “Please be assured that you will be kept informed of any changes to this situation.”
The letter was signed by Melanie Whitehead, chairman of governors.
The school said it was unable to comment any further because of the ongoing investigation.
Ladybridge Primary School was marked as a good school with outstanding features by Ofsted last May, with inspectors remarking: “The school is well led and managed by a committed headteacher and deputy headteacher.”
Mr Watson is believed to have been at the school since 2005.
- So many questions as the dust settles — Bolton businesses react to Brexit vote
- REVEALED: What's happening and when during construction of £10 million Horwich Leisure Centre
- Appeal for information on road accident that killed Westhoughton community stalwart
- Alleged machete raids in Bury and Radcliffe: Deane man is fifth suspect charged
- Parents disgusted after thief steals gazebo and children's gardening tools from nursery