£20,000 needed to repair church after thieves steal lead from roof

Rev Gareth Thomas at St James Church

Rev Gareth Thomas with some of his congregation

First published in News The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

A CHURCH is appealing for people to get behind its fundraising campaign to help pay for £20,000 of roof repairs after it was damaged by lead thieves.

The congregation of St James Church in Lower Leigh Road, Daisy Hill, were left reeling when thieves scaled the church and took lead from the roof in three separate raids in November and December last year.

Reverend Gareth Thomas has been fundraising to pay for damage caused by the thieves — but more work is still needed.

St James’ has raised about £15,000 so far, through various events and collections, but still need to find more than £7,000 to pay for the work that has already been carried out.

Mr Thomas said: “We have done really well so far and the support has been fantastic. There is still a little way to go but I am pleased with the amount we have raised in such a short space of time.

“Over Christmas I was thinking how on earth are we going to raise this money but we have done well.”

No one has yet been caught for the thefts but Mr Thomas said he sympathised with the police. He said: “We have not heard anything back from the police yet but I can see that it would be difficult for them if they have not got any witnesses.”

Italian restaurant Andiamo, also in Lower Leigh Road, heard about the appeal and donated its profits from a special charity.

A meal raised nearly £1,000, according to owner Amoroso Carpenito.

He said: “We had about 25 people from the church in and 76 in total. It was a fantastic night. All proceeds are going to the church.

“People from there always come to the restaurant and we are delighted to be able to support the community and do something.”

To donate to St James’s appeal, you can send a cheque payable to St James Church, Daisy Hill, to the church.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:46pm Thu 26 Jun 14

Beyond News Forum says...

God created the Heavens and Earth... he is Omnipotent... can he not put the lead back? Point out the thieves?

*POP*

“Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.”

― George Carlin

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin
God created the Heavens and Earth... he is Omnipotent... can he not put the lead back? Point out the thieves? *POP* “Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.” ― George Carlin “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ― George Carlin Beyond News Forum
  • Score: -3

11:50pm Thu 26 Jun 14

Beyond News Forum says...

Sorry I am the Anti-Christ OBVIOUSLY duh...
Sorry I am the Anti-Christ OBVIOUSLY duh... Beyond News Forum
  • Score: -3

5:37pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Lanchester says...

Beyond News Forum wrote:
God created the Heavens and Earth... he is Omnipotent... can he not put the lead back? Point out the thieves?

*POP*

“Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.”

― George Carlin

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin
Unhelpful.
[quote][p][bold]Beyond News Forum[/bold] wrote: God created the Heavens and Earth... he is Omnipotent... can he not put the lead back? Point out the thieves? *POP* “Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.” ― George Carlin “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ― George Carlin[/p][/quote]Unhelpful. Lanchester
  • Score: 4

9:27pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Beyond News Forum says...

Lanchester wrote:
Beyond News Forum wrote:
God created the Heavens and Earth... he is Omnipotent... can he not put the lead back? Point out the thieves?

*POP*

“Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.”

― George Carlin

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin
Unhelpful.
Not bothered... I cannot stand any hocus-pocus bs.

So come on tell me... why is it that the church needs money? One of the richest institutions on this planet. Why are they not covered by their insurance? And tell me this... why can God not fix it?

And don't tell me it is a test... that is the easiest cop out.
[quote][p][bold]Lanchester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beyond News Forum[/bold] wrote: God created the Heavens and Earth... he is Omnipotent... can he not put the lead back? Point out the thieves? *POP* “Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.” ― George Carlin “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ― George Carlin[/p][/quote]Unhelpful.[/p][/quote]Not bothered... I cannot stand any hocus-pocus bs. So come on tell me... why is it that the church needs money? One of the richest institutions on this planet. Why are they not covered by their insurance? And tell me this... why can God not fix it? And don't tell me it is a test... that is the easiest cop out. Beyond News Forum
  • Score: -6

11:56am Sat 28 Jun 14

Beyond News Forum says...

Still can't give me an answer can you thumbs down???
Still can't give me an answer can you thumbs down??? Beyond News Forum
  • Score: -3

10:50am Sun 29 Jun 14

JustBecause says...

Beyond News Forum wrote:
Lanchester wrote:
Beyond News Forum wrote:
God created the Heavens and Earth... he is Omnipotent... can he not put the lead back? Point out the thieves?

*POP*

“Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.”

― George Carlin

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin
Unhelpful.
Not bothered... I cannot stand any hocus-pocus bs.

So come on tell me... why is it that the church needs money? One of the richest institutions on this planet. Why are they not covered by their insurance? And tell me this... why can God not fix it?

And don't tell me it is a test... that is the easiest cop out.
Plus one on that brother..... Amen.

Fix thy own roof , and get some security, you ever watchful god, must have been havering a kip during the thefts.
[quote][p][bold]Beyond News Forum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lanchester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beyond News Forum[/bold] wrote: God created the Heavens and Earth... he is Omnipotent... can he not put the lead back? Point out the thieves? *POP* “Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.” ― George Carlin “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ― George Carlin[/p][/quote]Unhelpful.[/p][/quote]Not bothered... I cannot stand any hocus-pocus bs. So come on tell me... why is it that the church needs money? One of the richest institutions on this planet. Why are they not covered by their insurance? And tell me this... why can God not fix it? And don't tell me it is a test... that is the easiest cop out.[/p][/quote]Plus one on that brother..... Amen. Fix thy own roof , and get some security, you ever watchful god, must have been havering a kip during the thefts. JustBecause
  • Score: -3

10:53am Sun 29 Jun 14

JustBecause says...

They need 20,000 have robbed, sorry raised 15,000 but still need to find 7,000......

Clearly maths isn't a strong point in this story. And what are they replacing it with gold !
They need 20,000 have robbed, sorry raised 15,000 but still need to find 7,000...... Clearly maths isn't a strong point in this story. And what are they replacing it with gold ! JustBecause
  • Score: -3

9:08pm Sun 29 Jun 14

thedoc25 says...

It's good how our churches have to raise £20,000 to pay for the lead that got stolen from there roofs but yet the council will give the Muslims yet another mosque and fund it to the value of £1.1 million WHAT A JOKE think Bolton Council are being racist against us!!!!
It's good how our churches have to raise £20,000 to pay for the lead that got stolen from there roofs but yet the council will give the Muslims yet another mosque and fund it to the value of £1.1 million WHAT A JOKE think Bolton Council are being racist against us!!!! thedoc25
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree