A TOURIST from Bolton has died in the Turkish resort Marmaris — on what was believed to be the first day of his holiday.
David Thomas Burke, aged 50, is thought to have died after a fall at a hotel, according to Turkish media reports.
But his friends and family say they have been given no details of how he died and claim they have not heard from the friends he was on holiday with.
They added they were told that a post-mortem examination carried out at the Royal Bolton Hospital had revealed “multiple injuries” Mr Burke suffered.
Mr Burke’s body was flown back to Bolton, where he has been identified by family. Bolton Coroner’s Office has received a report of his death, although an inquest is yet to be opened.
It is believed that Mr Burke, a father-of-one, is originally from Gilnow.
He was most recently living in Bromwich Street, Bolton, and is thought to have travelled to Turkey with some people from Deane.
A family friend, who did not want to be identified, said: “We haven’t received any information. We have been fobbed off lots of times and don’t know how this has happened.
"He was on holiday with some people from Bolton and as far as we know they are still over there and we haven’t heard from them.
“You don’t just go on holiday and die on the first day, but no one is bothering to tell us anything.
“His daughter is devastated. She had to identify him and nobody should have to do that.”
Turkish news website Aksam displayed a shot of Mr Burke’s passport, alongside a report which suggests he died on June 20 after falling from the hotel where he was staying.
The report, which is written in Turkish but has had sections available to be translated into English, describes Mr Burke as suffering injuries to his “hip bone and rib” after the fall.
- Campaigners claim future of Bolton hospital at risk under “disgraceful” cuts to NHS
- David Beckham and Liam Gallagher wearing new Adidas anorak - named after area of Bolton
- UPDATED: Air ambulance called after child hit by car
- 'No compassion' - Man stung by parking fine while treating 90-year-old father to Christmas meal
- Child bleeding from mouth turned away from surgery after family rushed there for help
The report goes on to say that after being taken to hospital by ambulance Mr Burke was in the emergency room when he “suddenly fell ill”.
It added: “He could not be saved despite the intervention of the doctor.”
The news site appears to then state that an investigation is being carried out into the death of the Bolton man and that security camera footage is being examined.
The British Honorary Consulate in Marmaris confirmed it was aware of the incident.
A spokesman said: “We are aware of the Burke case. Relevant consular assistance is given to the family.”