13th planning application as doctor tries to rescue his oversized house in Regent Road, Lostock, from demolition

The Bolton News: The house in Regent Road, Lostock, which breached planning regulations The house in Regent Road, Lostock, which breached planning regulations

A CONTROVERSIAL five-bedroomed house in Lostock — originally built without permission — is now the subject of its THIRTEENTH planning application in four years.

Councillors will debate plans for the former bungalow in Regent Road today after developers submitted proposals to use the attic as a bedroom.

In July last year, officers ordered the developer, who lives in Chorley Old Road, to demolish the property as it caused “unacceptable harm to the character and appearance” of the area.

But in October the planning committee gave “retrospective approval” to an amended plan.

Developers have since been forced to demolish side walls and cut the length of the house by three metres, as well as relaying the foundations.

Neil Atkinson, who lives next door to the site, said: “This has gone on for so long now.

“The process is flawed. It seems if you keep trying, you can get virtually whatever you want.

He added that two trees had been damaged required another application “We have not been given sufficient information to judge this application.”

The latest application seeks to use attic space as a fifth bedroom, while the internal layout has been altered, to remove corridor space running across the length of the house.

The first application for the plot was to build an extra storey on the existing bungalow.


MORE:


A fresh application for a completely new house was made shortly after that was given approval.

Residents have voiced concerns about the cost to the taxpayer incurred by the 13 planning applications, while Cllr Bob Allen, for Heaton and Lostock, has accused the developer of trying to overturn the council’s demolition order “by stealth”.

Mr Atkinson added: “Bolton Council has now even stopped publishing planning objections.

“That is pretty bad as we can’t see what the rest of the residents think any more. We are at a bit of a loss now.”

Bolton Council’s planning committee will meet in the council chamber at the town hall at 2pm today.

The developer, retired doctor Dr Mohammed Sidda, was unavailable for comment.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:53am Thu 3 Jul 14

Moaning indie says...

Do you know what - it's time the Council grew a pair and make this guy either build what he got permission for years ago or better still comply with the demolition order which was ordered after he appealed. It has gone on long enough. There's another monstrosity being overbuilt off Kilworth and that should be sorted too! I'm sure people on here could name many more. Enough is enough!
Do you know what - it's time the Council grew a pair and make this guy either build what he got permission for years ago or better still comply with the demolition order which was ordered after he appealed. It has gone on long enough. There's another monstrosity being overbuilt off Kilworth and that should be sorted too! I'm sure people on here could name many more. Enough is enough! Moaning indie
  • Score: 57

8:44am Thu 3 Jul 14

Racheleck says...

Having lived in the regent road area all my life I have seen many of the beautiful houses changed over the years. Time does move on and some of the more modern looking houses are beautiful. I have seen this house (or what there is of it) left to look unsightly for years. I pity the residents who live next door and accross the road from the eye sore. I feel the time has come to either knock it down completely or sit with the developer and sort out a house that will be acceptable to all parties.

Leaving it as a building site for some years makes the road look untidy. The council needs to get their act together and work with the owner to sort this out for the good of the residents on regent road.
Having lived in the regent road area all my life I have seen many of the beautiful houses changed over the years. Time does move on and some of the more modern looking houses are beautiful. I have seen this house (or what there is of it) left to look unsightly for years. I pity the residents who live next door and accross the road from the eye sore. I feel the time has come to either knock it down completely or sit with the developer and sort out a house that will be acceptable to all parties. Leaving it as a building site for some years makes the road look untidy. The council needs to get their act together and work with the owner to sort this out for the good of the residents on regent road. Racheleck
  • Score: 29

9:15am Thu 3 Jul 14

Annelime says...

Tear it down!!! No permission no build!! Why should everybody else have to do it the right way! It's the same with the new plumbing store built in farnworth, that didn't comply but they let that slide! It's not fair to those people who do as they should do!!
Tear it down!!! No permission no build!! Why should everybody else have to do it the right way! It's the same with the new plumbing store built in farnworth, that didn't comply but they let that slide! It's not fair to those people who do as they should do!! Annelime
  • Score: 49

9:29am Thu 3 Jul 14

cosmicma says...

the simple fact of the matter is the council cannot afford to keep fighting their corner
every time an application is refused another "slightly modified" application is submitted it gets to a point where too much money has been spent and unless more money is poured into it by the council the only other avenue left is court or approval. court cost money approval gets it out of the way so to speak

this is known by the people putting in the planning applications it's just a case of grinding the council down until they say yes and this one is no exception it will be approved sooner or later and they know it
the simple fact of the matter is the council cannot afford to keep fighting their corner every time an application is refused another "slightly modified" application is submitted it gets to a point where too much money has been spent and unless more money is poured into it by the council the only other avenue left is court or approval. court cost money approval gets it out of the way so to speak this is known by the people putting in the planning applications it's just a case of grinding the council down until they say yes and this one is no exception it will be approved sooner or later and they know it cosmicma
  • Score: 7

12:45pm Thu 3 Jul 14

The Squire In Residence says...

20 or so people agreed with thumbs up so why delete it?
20 or so people agreed with thumbs up so why delete it? The Squire In Residence
  • Score: 65

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree