'Landlords should visit their properties more often', says Blackrod councillor

The Bolton News: Cllr Stephen Laycock Cllr Stephen Laycock

A BLACKROD councillor, who rents out several houses, has called on his fellow landlords to visit their properties more often after several bad experiences with letting agents.

Former Mayor of Blackrod, Cllr Stephen Laycock, is recommending landlords visit the homes they rent out.

Cllr Laycock has had four letting agents in just five years.

He said while the majority of letting agents are likely to manage properties appropriately, his experiences have resulted in two different court cases with firms who he said were not carrying out their role of looking after his interests.

Cllr Laycock added: “I have had problems including agents asking contractors to add considerable amounts on to repair bills or failing to make inspections.

“I would like to suggest that Bolton landlords should visit their properties at least once a year.”

The National Landlords Association said it would support any campaign which aims to “educate landlords about their responsibilities and obligations”.

Richard Lambert, chief executive of the NLA, said: “The NLA advise landlords to pick an agent who is a member of a professional trade body.”

Philip Chadwick, who is on the divisional board of the Association of Residential Lettings Agent, said: “Sadly there is no regulation in the industry and it is something that we have pushed for. There needs to be regulation.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:15pm Fri 11 Jul 14

buskersball says...

so how many 'houses' does this guy own??
so how many 'houses' does this guy own?? buskersball
  • Score: 1

10:15pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Ghutcz says...

He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too
He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too Ghutcz
  • Score: 0

7:25am Sat 12 Jul 14

Steve l says...

Ghutcz wrote:
He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too
I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.
[quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too[/p][/quote]I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties. Steve l
  • Score: 1

8:44am Sat 12 Jul 14

Ghutcz says...

I told landlord and estate agent people just pretend they are going to do things and say they will but they can not be bothered spending money and I have proof that estate agents told him of the problem
I told landlord and estate agent people just pretend they are going to do things and say they will but they can not be bothered spending money and I have proof that estate agents told him of the problem Ghutcz
  • Score: 0

8:45am Sat 12 Jul 14

Ghutcz says...

Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too
I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.
And it was the estate agent who had to take action against him they have court orders against him
[quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too[/p][/quote]I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.[/p][/quote]And it was the estate agent who had to take action against him they have court orders against him Ghutcz
  • Score: 0

8:57am Sat 12 Jul 14

Steve l says...

Ghutcz wrote:
Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too
I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.
And it was the estate agent who had to take action against him they have court orders against him
I am afraid you are incorrect.
[quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too[/p][/quote]I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.[/p][/quote]And it was the estate agent who had to take action against him they have court orders against him[/p][/quote]I am afraid you are incorrect. Steve l
  • Score: 0

9:31am Sat 12 Jul 14

Ghutcz says...

Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too
I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.
And it was the estate agent who had to take action against him they have court orders against him
I am afraid you are incorrect.
Well I have proof that he knew about problems in the house so I think you are incorrect
[quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too[/p][/quote]I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.[/p][/quote]And it was the estate agent who had to take action against him they have court orders against him[/p][/quote]I am afraid you are incorrect.[/p][/quote]Well I have proof that he knew about problems in the house so I think you are incorrect Ghutcz
  • Score: 0

10:14am Sat 12 Jul 14

Steve l says...

Ghutcz wrote:
Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too
I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.
And it was the estate agent who had to take action against him they have court orders against him
I am afraid you are incorrect.
Well I have proof that he knew about problems in the house so I think you are incorrect
and I can assure you that if a fault was reported to me - then appropriate instructions were given to the agent. There was one house that had thousands of pounds of repairs done. The tenant failed to clear or report a blocked drain , the tenant dried clothes inside without ventilating the house resulting in a condensation problem. To make matters worse a dog ripped wallpaper off the walls - even though the tenancy did not allow pets. New carpeting was destroyed by the dog within weeks. The tenant even removed skirting boards. Thousands of pounds of costs - due to the tenant. I had been considering legal action but given the ex tenant was unemployed with a small child I decided not to - although I do have six years in which I can do this.
[quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: He has 20+ houses he does not care about the tenent who lives in the house he has two court orders that two letting agents had to get against him I lived in one of his houses with kids full of damp and broke things around the house and he did nothing do not rent one from him I know other tenents who had problems with him too[/p][/quote]I think that is the point. You assume the landlord knew of the issue and did nothing. There is in fact an agent in between. In one case, the courts have already ruled that it was the agent who failed to take appropriate action - not the landlord. This is the reason landlords should see their own properties.[/p][/quote]And it was the estate agent who had to take action against him they have court orders against him[/p][/quote]I am afraid you are incorrect.[/p][/quote]Well I have proof that he knew about problems in the house so I think you are incorrect[/p][/quote]and I can assure you that if a fault was reported to me - then appropriate instructions were given to the agent. There was one house that had thousands of pounds of repairs done. The tenant failed to clear or report a blocked drain , the tenant dried clothes inside without ventilating the house resulting in a condensation problem. To make matters worse a dog ripped wallpaper off the walls - even though the tenancy did not allow pets. New carpeting was destroyed by the dog within weeks. The tenant even removed skirting boards. Thousands of pounds of costs - due to the tenant. I had been considering legal action but given the ex tenant was unemployed with a small child I decided not to - although I do have six years in which I can do this. Steve l
  • Score: 0

10:41am Sat 12 Jul 14

Ghutcz says...

Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you
Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you Ghutcz
  • Score: 0

10:57am Sat 12 Jul 14

Steve l says...

Ghutcz wrote:
Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you
If you read the article it is about urging landlords to visit their properties and not relying on an agent to communicate issues. This is why I have changed agents. Many of your statements are factually incorrect. You evidently have a personal issue with me /the agent - and I suggest you contact me directly to discuss your grievances. I should add I am currently in litigation having agreed - and paid - for works to be done - which were not done -it is not always the landlords fault and you may have been the victim of of of these situations. I can assure you that - together with the current agent - any outstanding issues have been resolved
[quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you[/p][/quote]If you read the article it is about urging landlords to visit their properties and not relying on an agent to communicate issues. This is why I have changed agents. Many of your statements are factually incorrect. You evidently have a personal issue with me /the agent - and I suggest you contact me directly to discuss your grievances. I should add I am currently in litigation having agreed - and paid - for works to be done - which were not done -it is not always the landlords fault and you may have been the victim of of of these situations. I can assure you that - together with the current agent - any outstanding issues have been resolved Steve l
  • Score: 1

11:16am Sat 12 Jul 14

allan111111 says...

Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you
If you read the article it is about urging landlords to visit their properties and not relying on an agent to communicate issues. This is why I have changed agents. Many of your statements are factually incorrect. You evidently have a personal issue with me /the agent - and I suggest you contact me directly to discuss your grievances. I should add I am currently in litigation having agreed - and paid - for works to be done - which were not done -it is not always the landlords fault and you may have been the victim of of of these situations. I can assure you that - together with the current agent - any outstanding issues have been resolved
As long as you get your rent paid for housing benefit basically you don't give a 5h1t
[quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you[/p][/quote]If you read the article it is about urging landlords to visit their properties and not relying on an agent to communicate issues. This is why I have changed agents. Many of your statements are factually incorrect. You evidently have a personal issue with me /the agent - and I suggest you contact me directly to discuss your grievances. I should add I am currently in litigation having agreed - and paid - for works to be done - which were not done -it is not always the landlords fault and you may have been the victim of of of these situations. I can assure you that - together with the current agent - any outstanding issues have been resolved[/p][/quote]As long as you get your rent paid for housing benefit basically you don't give a 5h1t allan111111
  • Score: 1

11:35am Sat 12 Jul 14

Ghutcz says...

allan111111 wrote:
Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you
If you read the article it is about urging landlords to visit their properties and not relying on an agent to communicate issues. This is why I have changed agents. Many of your statements are factually incorrect. You evidently have a personal issue with me /the agent - and I suggest you contact me directly to discuss your grievances. I should add I am currently in litigation having agreed - and paid - for works to be done - which were not done -it is not always the landlords fault and you may have been the victim of of of these situations. I can assure you that - together with the current agent - any outstanding issues have been resolved
As long as you get your rent paid for housing benefit basically you don't give a 5h1t
Is this aimed at tenet or landlord
[quote][p][bold]allan111111[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you[/p][/quote]If you read the article it is about urging landlords to visit their properties and not relying on an agent to communicate issues. This is why I have changed agents. Many of your statements are factually incorrect. You evidently have a personal issue with me /the agent - and I suggest you contact me directly to discuss your grievances. I should add I am currently in litigation having agreed - and paid - for works to be done - which were not done -it is not always the landlords fault and you may have been the victim of of of these situations. I can assure you that - together with the current agent - any outstanding issues have been resolved[/p][/quote]As long as you get your rent paid for housing benefit basically you don't give a 5h1t[/p][/quote]Is this aimed at tenet or landlord Ghutcz
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Ghutcz says...

allan111111 wrote:
Steve l wrote:
Ghutcz wrote:
Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you
If you read the article it is about urging landlords to visit their properties and not relying on an agent to communicate issues. This is why I have changed agents. Many of your statements are factually incorrect. You evidently have a personal issue with me /the agent - and I suggest you contact me directly to discuss your grievances. I should add I am currently in litigation having agreed - and paid - for works to be done - which were not done -it is not always the landlords fault and you may have been the victim of of of these situations. I can assure you that - together with the current agent - any outstanding issues have been resolved
As long as you get your rent paid for housing benefit basically you don't give a 5h1t
Is this comment aimed at tenent or landlord
[quote][p][bold]allan111111[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ghutcz[/bold] wrote: Do see how far you get I am an ex tenent of yours and know others tenents that have rented from you who all had the same problems with you not wanting to fix things because you couldn't be bothered spending the money on what needed to be done I even spoke to a solicitor because you tried charging me for things and they said there was nothing you could do because I had evidence that you knew and took pictures before I moved in you should not be a landlord and you should not be a mayor you do not care about your tenents you care about making money I had a year of hell renting from you[/p][/quote]If you read the article it is about urging landlords to visit their properties and not relying on an agent to communicate issues. This is why I have changed agents. Many of your statements are factually incorrect. You evidently have a personal issue with me /the agent - and I suggest you contact me directly to discuss your grievances. I should add I am currently in litigation having agreed - and paid - for works to be done - which were not done -it is not always the landlords fault and you may have been the victim of of of these situations. I can assure you that - together with the current agent - any outstanding issues have been resolved[/p][/quote]As long as you get your rent paid for housing benefit basically you don't give a 5h1t[/p][/quote]Is this comment aimed at tenent or landlord Ghutcz
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Replytohatersandscum says...

the tennants that cause problems are 99% unemployed scum that dont give a damm about the place they live in and then move on to the next place
do any of the above have a job ? no didnt think so
the tennants that cause problems are 99% unemployed scum that dont give a damm about the place they live in and then move on to the next place do any of the above have a job ? no didnt think so Replytohatersandscum
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Ghutcz says...

Replytohatersandscum wrote:
the tennants that cause problems are 99% unemployed scum that dont give a damm about the place they live in and then move on to the next place
do any of the above have a job ? no didnt think so
Not all people on benefits are like that I am a very clean and tidy person with kids who like to look after the place I am staying in and to call people on benefits scum I think you are wrong I have applied for many jobs and been to interviews but never got them not all people on benefits act like tramps so think before you right things about people you do not no
[quote][p][bold]Replytohatersandscum[/bold] wrote: the tennants that cause problems are 99% unemployed scum that dont give a damm about the place they live in and then move on to the next place do any of the above have a job ? no didnt think so[/p][/quote]Not all people on benefits are like that I am a very clean and tidy person with kids who like to look after the place I am staying in and to call people on benefits scum I think you are wrong I have applied for many jobs and been to interviews but never got them not all people on benefits act like tramps so think before you right things about people you do not no Ghutcz
  • Score: 1

8:35pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Changing times says...

If tenants are unhappy with disrepair and the landlord is doing nothing get them reported to environmental health who will inspect the properties
If tenants are unhappy with disrepair and the landlord is doing nothing get them reported to environmental health who will inspect the properties Changing times
  • Score: 4
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree