The 'war against the bedroom tax' is being won, say Bolton campaigners

The Bolton News: Campaigners against the ‘bedroom tax’ on the steps of the town hall Campaigners against the ‘bedroom tax’ on the steps of the town hall

CAMPAIGNERS from pressure group Bolton Against The Bedroom Tax say they are winning the war against the controversial policy - after senior Liberal Democrats called for it to be axed.

Danny Alexander, the chief secretary of the Treasury, said the coalition party wanted “fairer rules” for social housing and council house tenants.

Since April, 2013, the spare room subsidy has seen tenants lose a portion of their benefits if they are deemed to have an extra room in their houses.

Mr Alexander has called for massive rehaul of the policy, which would see social tenants living in properties that are too big lose their benefits if they refuse an alternative property.

He also called for disabled people to be completely exempt from the deductions. Linda Charnock, chairman of the Bolton Against Bedroom Tax campaign, said the latest announcement by the Lib Dems reflected a “turn in the tide” against the policy.

She said: “We feel we are winning the war, and that’s the same feeling coming from all the campaigns across the country.

“It’s happened very late in the day, and coming up to a General Election, but better late than never.

“And in the meantime people are still in fear of losing their homes.”

Labour accused the Liberal Democrats or “unbelievable hypocrisy” over the move.

Both Labour and UKIP have said they would scrap the policy.

But Cllr Roger Hayes, leader of the Liberal Democrats in Bolton, said he was pleased to see the national leadership taking account of local groups’ views.

Both the Liberal Democrats and Conservative groups in Bolton are against the policy, despite their national counterparts spearheading the reforms.

Cllr Hayes said: “We have been against it from the beginning.

“I’m delighted that the party has taken this stance. At a recent party conference there was a strong vote from members asking for reform of the policy.

“Whatever the merits of it, you have got to have a supply of smaller accommodation for people to move into.

“Otherwise it’s totally unfair to penalise people who might want to move but can’t because there isn’t the supply.”

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:57am Fri 18 Jul 14

BBBBBBXX says...

Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves!
Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves! BBBBBBXX
  • Score: -8

10:31am Fri 18 Jul 14

thomas222 says...

BBBBBBXX wrote:
Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves!
Only 3% of people on benefits are claiming unemployment benefit. There are Millions who work and are claiming housing and council tax benefits because their Employers dont pay enough to live on. But your OK Jack.
[quote][p][bold]BBBBBBXX[/bold] wrote: Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves![/p][/quote]Only 3% of people on benefits are claiming unemployment benefit. There are Millions who work and are claiming housing and council tax benefits because their Employers dont pay enough to live on. But your OK Jack. thomas222
  • Score: 22

11:29am Sun 20 Jul 14

the need for austerity is a myth says...

thomas222 wrote:
BBBBBBXX wrote:
Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves!
Only 3% of people on benefits are claiming unemployment benefit. There are Millions who work and are claiming housing and council tax benefits because their Employers dont pay enough to live on. But your OK Jack.
That's right. And every vote for UKIP is a vote to increase the number of workers forced to claim benefits after UKIP have scrapped the national minimum wage as part of their hate fuelled war against all workers!
[quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BBBBBBXX[/bold] wrote: Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves![/p][/quote]Only 3% of people on benefits are claiming unemployment benefit. There are Millions who work and are claiming housing and council tax benefits because their Employers dont pay enough to live on. But your OK Jack.[/p][/quote]That's right. And every vote for UKIP is a vote to increase the number of workers forced to claim benefits after UKIP have scrapped the national minimum wage as part of their hate fuelled war against all workers! the need for austerity is a myth
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Sun 20 Jul 14

thomas222 says...

the need for austerity is a myth wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
BBBBBBXX wrote:
Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves!
Only 3% of people on benefits are claiming unemployment benefit. There are Millions who work and are claiming housing and council tax benefits because their Employers dont pay enough to live on. But your OK Jack.
That's right. And every vote for UKIP is a vote to increase the number of workers forced to claim benefits after UKIP have scrapped the national minimum wage as part of their hate fuelled war against all workers!
I never mentioned UKIP but since you mention the left wing lie regarding their wage policy.
Official UKIP policy with regard to people on Minimum wage is....... " YES to a tax- free minimum wage". Do you really believe UKIP would be so stupid to do a policy that would kill them.
[quote][p][bold]the need for austerity is a myth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BBBBBBXX[/bold] wrote: Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves![/p][/quote]Only 3% of people on benefits are claiming unemployment benefit. There are Millions who work and are claiming housing and council tax benefits because their Employers dont pay enough to live on. But your OK Jack.[/p][/quote]That's right. And every vote for UKIP is a vote to increase the number of workers forced to claim benefits after UKIP have scrapped the national minimum wage as part of their hate fuelled war against all workers![/p][/quote]I never mentioned UKIP but since you mention the left wing lie regarding their wage policy. Official UKIP policy with regard to people on Minimum wage is....... " YES to a tax- free minimum wage". Do you really believe UKIP would be so stupid to do a policy that would kill them. thomas222
  • Score: 2

12:33pm Sun 20 Jul 14

thomas222 says...

the need for austerity is a myth wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
BBBBBBXX wrote:
Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves!
Only 3% of people on benefits are claiming unemployment benefit. There are Millions who work and are claiming housing and council tax benefits because their Employers dont pay enough to live on. But your OK Jack.
That's right. And every vote for UKIP is a vote to increase the number of workers forced to claim benefits after UKIP have scrapped the national minimum wage as part of their hate fuelled war against all workers!
Oh i forgot to mention.. UKIP are against the Bedroom Tax and would stop it. : )
[quote][p][bold]the need for austerity is a myth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BBBBBBXX[/bold] wrote: Imagine if they put all that effort into getting a job and supporting themselves![/p][/quote]Only 3% of people on benefits are claiming unemployment benefit. There are Millions who work and are claiming housing and council tax benefits because their Employers dont pay enough to live on. But your OK Jack.[/p][/quote]That's right. And every vote for UKIP is a vote to increase the number of workers forced to claim benefits after UKIP have scrapped the national minimum wage as part of their hate fuelled war against all workers![/p][/quote]Oh i forgot to mention.. UKIP are against the Bedroom Tax and would stop it. : ) thomas222
  • Score: 2
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree