Bolton bus drivers transport athletes to Commonwealth Games

Elizabeth Shepherd and Aaron Davis

Elizabeth Shepherd and Aaron Davis

First published in News The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

BUS drivers from Bolton have travelled over the border to transport elite athletes during the Commonwealth Games.

The First Bus group has won contracts to transport athletes as well as officials and the media during the games and will also be providing spectator shuffle services during the sporting event, which runs from today until August 3.

Bolton drivers will form part of a 700-strong First Bus driving pool for Glasgow 2014 made up of more than 200 First drivers from across the country as well as 500 sub-contracted drivers.

They will be visiting famous sites and venues including Hampden Park, Ibrox Stadium, Celtic Park and The Emirates Arena — which includes the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome.

Bolton driver Elizabeth Shepherd said: “We’re proud to be part of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games and proud to represent First Bolton.

“We’ll be going all out to set new driving and customer service personal bests.”

Fellow First Bolton driver Aaron Davis is hoping to meet some world stars.

He said: “The Games are the talk of the canteen. I’m hoping to be fortunate enough to transport some athletes, maybe even Usain Bolt.

“It’s a great opportunity and I’m very excited to be part of Glasgow 2014. Like Elizabeth, I’m aiming to set a new personal best.”

Business manager of First Bolton, Matt Rawlinson, said: “FirstGroup’s bus and rail services will play an integral part in the success of Glasgow 2014.

“I’m delighted that a number of our drivers are to be part of the First team this summer and I’ve no doubt they will act as fine ambassadors for First Bolton.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:43pm Wed 23 Jul 14

nigella farrage says...

Good luck to them and they have brushed up on the many accents so there is no faux-pas
Good luck to them and they have brushed up on the many accents so there is no faux-pas nigella farrage
  • Score: -4

4:45pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Gore Seer says...

Great The Bus Drivers Got £1000 A Week Pay.
Great The Bus Drivers Got £1000 A Week Pay. Gore Seer
  • Score: -2

4:51pm Wed 23 Jul 14

mintshaker says...

So this explains why First Bus have taken my morning bus to work off the timetable. So now I have to set out 15 minutes earlier and hang around work for half an hour, or set out 15 minutes later and risk being late!
So this explains why First Bus have taken my morning bus to work off the timetable. So now I have to set out 15 minutes earlier and hang around work for half an hour, or set out 15 minutes later and risk being late! mintshaker
  • Score: -4

9:35pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Frotage says...

I just hope the athletes enjoy the same wonderful service from First Bus that I experience e.g. They don't bother turning up. The drivers ignore people waiting at bus stops. The drivers are surly and bad tempered and often feel the need to test their brakes at each bus stop / set of traffic lights.
I just hope the athletes enjoy the same wonderful service from First Bus that I experience e.g. They don't bother turning up. The drivers ignore people waiting at bus stops. The drivers are surly and bad tempered and often feel the need to test their brakes at each bus stop / set of traffic lights. Frotage
  • Score: -2

1:45am Thu 24 Jul 14

mr.mark.c says...

Frotage wrote:
I just hope the athletes enjoy the same wonderful service from First Bus that I experience e.g. They don't bother turning up. The drivers ignore people waiting at bus stops. The drivers are surly and bad tempered and often feel the need to test their brakes at each bus stop / set of traffic lights.
report the heavy breaking as it will show on the drive green if you didn't know, all first buses are fitted with GPS and G sensors and the drivers get scored on how well they drive.
As for the utter carp about it affecting services, they have standby drivers sat in the deppo just incase a driver is unwell or a bus breaks down so that is a pointless argument.
Btw, the young lady is a tech at Bolton and does not normally drive buses on a daily basis, so again your argument is pointless, try getting some facts before spouting garbage.
[quote][p][bold]Frotage[/bold] wrote: I just hope the athletes enjoy the same wonderful service from First Bus that I experience e.g. They don't bother turning up. The drivers ignore people waiting at bus stops. The drivers are surly and bad tempered and often feel the need to test their brakes at each bus stop / set of traffic lights.[/p][/quote]report the heavy breaking as it will show on the drive green if you didn't know, all first buses are fitted with GPS and G sensors and the drivers get scored on how well they drive. As for the utter carp about it affecting services, they have standby drivers sat in the deppo just incase a driver is unwell or a bus breaks down so that is a pointless argument. Btw, the young lady is a tech at Bolton and does not normally drive buses on a daily basis, so again your argument is pointless, try getting some facts before spouting garbage. mr.mark.c
  • Score: 3

1:48am Thu 24 Jul 14

mr.mark.c says...

Gore Seer wrote:
Great The Bus Drivers Got £1000 A Week Pay.
Its called working away from home, google it.
[quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: Great The Bus Drivers Got £1000 A Week Pay.[/p][/quote]Its called working away from home, google it. mr.mark.c
  • Score: -2

7:24pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Frotage says...

mr.mark.c wrote:
Frotage wrote:
I just hope the athletes enjoy the same wonderful service from First Bus that I experience e.g. They don't bother turning up. The drivers ignore people waiting at bus stops. The drivers are surly and bad tempered and often feel the need to test their brakes at each bus stop / set of traffic lights.
report the heavy breaking as it will show on the drive green if you didn't know, all first buses are fitted with GPS and G sensors and the drivers get scored on how well they drive.
As for the utter carp about it affecting services, they have standby drivers sat in the deppo just incase a driver is unwell or a bus breaks down so that is a pointless argument.
Btw, the young lady is a tech at Bolton and does not normally drive buses on a daily basis, so again your argument is pointless, try getting some facts before spouting garbage.
Dear Mr Mark. C or should that be spelt with lower case letters? Firstly, as a regular bus user i am entitled to an opinion. If it isn't the same as yours it doesn't mean its garbage. Also, its 'braking' not 'breaking'. I did not say that first bus helping out at the Commonwealth games would affect services. In addition, I made no mention of the young lady in the picture. I wasn't having an 'argument' with anyone. As for advising that I 'Try getting some facts before spouting garbage..' I would recommend the following advice for you; 1/ Read the post through properly before having a hissy fit. 2/ Cut other people some slack even if their views/ opinions differ from yours and 3/ Calm down. All the best, Frotage.
[quote][p][bold]mr.mark.c[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Frotage[/bold] wrote: I just hope the athletes enjoy the same wonderful service from First Bus that I experience e.g. They don't bother turning up. The drivers ignore people waiting at bus stops. The drivers are surly and bad tempered and often feel the need to test their brakes at each bus stop / set of traffic lights.[/p][/quote]report the heavy breaking as it will show on the drive green if you didn't know, all first buses are fitted with GPS and G sensors and the drivers get scored on how well they drive. As for the utter carp about it affecting services, they have standby drivers sat in the deppo just incase a driver is unwell or a bus breaks down so that is a pointless argument. Btw, the young lady is a tech at Bolton and does not normally drive buses on a daily basis, so again your argument is pointless, try getting some facts before spouting garbage.[/p][/quote]Dear Mr Mark. C or should that be spelt with lower case letters? Firstly, as a regular bus user i am entitled to an opinion. If it isn't the same as yours it doesn't mean its garbage. Also, its 'braking' not 'breaking'. I did not say that first bus helping out at the Commonwealth games would affect services. In addition, I made no mention of the young lady in the picture. I wasn't having an 'argument' with anyone. As for advising that I 'Try getting some facts before spouting garbage..' I would recommend the following advice for you; 1/ Read the post through properly before having a hissy fit. 2/ Cut other people some slack even if their views/ opinions differ from yours and 3/ Calm down. All the best, Frotage. Frotage
  • Score: 1

1:59am Fri 25 Jul 14

mr.mark.c says...

Frotage wrote:
mr.mark.c wrote:
Frotage wrote:
I just hope the athletes enjoy the same wonderful service from First Bus that I experience e.g. They don't bother turning up. The drivers ignore people waiting at bus stops. The drivers are surly and bad tempered and often feel the need to test their brakes at each bus stop / set of traffic lights.
report the heavy breaking as it will show on the drive green if you didn't know, all first buses are fitted with GPS and G sensors and the drivers get scored on how well they drive.
As for the utter carp about it affecting services, they have standby drivers sat in the deppo just incase a driver is unwell or a bus breaks down so that is a pointless argument.
Btw, the young lady is a tech at Bolton and does not normally drive buses on a daily basis, so again your argument is pointless, try getting some facts before spouting garbage.
Dear Mr Mark. C or should that be spelt with lower case letters? Firstly, as a regular bus user i am entitled to an opinion. If it isn't the same as yours it doesn't mean its garbage. Also, its 'braking' not 'breaking'. I did not say that first bus helping out at the Commonwealth games would affect services. In addition, I made no mention of the young lady in the picture. I wasn't having an 'argument' with anyone. As for advising that I 'Try getting some facts before spouting garbage..' I would recommend the following advice for you; 1/ Read the post through properly before having a hissy fit. 2/ Cut other people some slack even if their views/ opinions differ from yours and 3/ Calm down. All the best, Frotage.
4/ Why bother correcting spellings, And why pick on a simple user name?
you are a very very sad person.
The buses always turn up unless they have traffic or a breakdown issue, they also stop if you flag the driver rather than stand there like a tit and expect it to stop, trust me I know ;)
[quote][p][bold]Frotage[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr.mark.c[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Frotage[/bold] wrote: I just hope the athletes enjoy the same wonderful service from First Bus that I experience e.g. They don't bother turning up. The drivers ignore people waiting at bus stops. The drivers are surly and bad tempered and often feel the need to test their brakes at each bus stop / set of traffic lights.[/p][/quote]report the heavy breaking as it will show on the drive green if you didn't know, all first buses are fitted with GPS and G sensors and the drivers get scored on how well they drive. As for the utter carp about it affecting services, they have standby drivers sat in the deppo just incase a driver is unwell or a bus breaks down so that is a pointless argument. Btw, the young lady is a tech at Bolton and does not normally drive buses on a daily basis, so again your argument is pointless, try getting some facts before spouting garbage.[/p][/quote]Dear Mr Mark. C or should that be spelt with lower case letters? Firstly, as a regular bus user i am entitled to an opinion. If it isn't the same as yours it doesn't mean its garbage. Also, its 'braking' not 'breaking'. I did not say that first bus helping out at the Commonwealth games would affect services. In addition, I made no mention of the young lady in the picture. I wasn't having an 'argument' with anyone. As for advising that I 'Try getting some facts before spouting garbage..' I would recommend the following advice for you; 1/ Read the post through properly before having a hissy fit. 2/ Cut other people some slack even if their views/ opinions differ from yours and 3/ Calm down. All the best, Frotage.[/p][/quote]4/ Why bother correcting spellings, And why pick on a simple user name? you are a very very sad person. The buses always turn up unless they have traffic or a breakdown issue, they also stop if you flag the driver rather than stand there like a tit and expect it to stop, trust me I know ;) mr.mark.c
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree