THE body of a woman has been found in Rivington.
Police were called at about 6.07pm last night to the Lower Rivington Reservoir, where the woman, who is thought to have been in her twenties, was found.
She is thought to be from Horwich.
Julian Holt, aged 53, who lives in nearby Dryfield Lane was walking his dogs when he made the shocking discovery.
He said: “I was walking my young puppies around the reservoir just after 6pm and picking up bottles and cans that had been left behind by kids.
“I saw a beer bottle in the water and went to grab it when I saw something floating next to it which at first looked like a black bin bag.
“When I looked again I noticed the bare arms of a person, she was floating face-down about 10ft from the water’s edge — I was obviously very shocked.
“It was really surreal and not something you expect to see, I immediately phoned the police to report what I had found.”
Mr Holt, who runs bed supplier Premier Stores, in Central Street, in Bolton town centre, then went to meet officers, who arrived, along with four fire engines and an ambulance, and directed them to the reservoir.
He said he believed he had seen the same person sitting at the edge of the reservoir the previous evening, but had presumed it was someone fishing.
- UPDATE/VIDEO: Incredible CCTV footage shows shopkeepers fight off 'axe-wielding maniac' with sweets and crisps
- OUTLAWED: No more 'legal highs' - Everything you need to know about the ban
- VIDEO: Emotional Victoria Derbyshire fights back tears as she completes cancer treatment
- Uninsured driver killed pet dog by running it over and dragging its body
- iPhone app led victim to burglar after phone was stolen along with luxury cars in £100,000 raid
Mr Holt added: “It is very sad — I would like to express my sincere condolences to the woman’s family.”
A spokesman for Lancashire Police confirmed the force had been called to the Lower Rivington Reservoir at just after 6pm on Tuesday.
The spokesman added: “We can confirm that the body of a woman who appears to be in her 20s was found in the reservoir.
"There are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding her death.”
The case has now been passed to the coroner.