'Rape' alleyway 'should be gated off', say businesses

The alleyway where the teenager was allegedly raped

The alleyway where the teenager was allegedly raped

First published in News The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

AN alleyway where a teenager was allegedly raped is not safe and should be “gated off”, according to nearby businesses.

The 18-year-old was said to have been dragged into St George’s Court at about 4am on Thursday and raped by a man.

The alleyway behind the Founders Arms pub is an unlit dead-end road, where businesses in Bridge Street, St George’s Street and All Saints’ Street have rear entrances.

Lauren Chambers, who helps run Pole Fitness Studios, said: “It is dark down there, no lights or anything. We finish here at 10pm, 11pm or midnight.

“We have to park in that road so we have to walk there alone after dark to get our cars.

“There is nothing there, it is a dead-end, people should not be walking in that alley at all.

“A gate would be a help because late at night and early in the morning it is really quiet.

“When we are closing up on our own at night it is not safe.”

Anthony Cross, landlord of The Founders Arms for the last 14 years, said: “The area is okay, but because there is access down there, people often come and dump rubbish which has attracted rats in the past.

“The alleyway is a problem really. It is desolate at night-time.”

Police have stepped up patrols in the area since the alleged rape.

Bolton Council refused to comment on whether a gate would be considered.

On its website it lists several factors as being key to whether applications are successful, including the level of crime or anti-social behaviour, the availability of funding, the highway status of the alleyway and the number of objections to any proposed change.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:14am Sun 3 Aug 14

catsden says...

Yes I agree, but what the hell was an 18 year old doing walking alone at that time of a morning, it is stupid.
Yes I agree, but what the hell was an 18 year old doing walking alone at that time of a morning, it is stupid. catsden
  • Score: -13

10:32am Sun 3 Aug 14

MissPeg says...

It's all very well and good to say let's gate it, but surely that will cause just as much of a risk to people using the alley to collect cars? The time it takes to unlock the gate, then lock it again behind your car - assuming that is what is being proposed here. Or is it suggested we gate it at night so nobody can use it?

What about fire safety? It's a fire exit route for some premises that back onto the road, so how are people supposed to get out safely and quickly if there's a gate that's locked?

I understand people's worries and concerns, but there has only been one serious incident in the 18 months I've been aware of this alleyway. It was bad luck, in a way, that the incident happened in the alley and not elsewhere in the area. We can't panic and look for solutions to stop incidents from occurring just because something happens once.
It's all very well and good to say let's gate it, but surely that will cause just as much of a risk to people using the alley to collect cars? The time it takes to unlock the gate, then lock it again behind your car - assuming that is what is being proposed here. Or is it suggested we gate it at night so nobody can use it? What about fire safety? It's a fire exit route for some premises that back onto the road, so how are people supposed to get out safely and quickly if there's a gate that's locked? I understand people's worries and concerns, but there has only been one serious incident in the 18 months I've been aware of this alleyway. It was bad luck, in a way, that the incident happened in the alley and not elsewhere in the area. We can't panic and look for solutions to stop incidents from occurring just because something happens once. MissPeg
  • Score: 5

10:51am Sun 3 Aug 14

smw2012 says...

catsden wrote:
Yes I agree, but what the hell was an 18 year old doing walking alone at that time of a morning, it is stupid.
Catsden : don't we love in a free country? Where females & males can walk anywhere at anytime without fearing this happening to them? Also do you know why the young lady was there? Being as there's a taxi rank 30seconds away? And clubs open til ridiculous hours anyway! Maybe she ended up there because he dragged her? Like the report said! You don't know this young ladies situation or what she is going through! Silly rediculous comments like this are unnecessary, don't you think she realises now the dangers! No mention of why the attacker was round there though? Think before you comment...
[quote][p][bold]catsden[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree, but what the hell was an 18 year old doing walking alone at that time of a morning, it is stupid.[/p][/quote]Catsden : don't we love in a free country? Where females & males can walk anywhere at anytime without fearing this happening to them? Also do you know why the young lady was there? Being as there's a taxi rank 30seconds away? And clubs open til ridiculous hours anyway! Maybe she ended up there because he dragged her? Like the report said! You don't know this young ladies situation or what she is going through! Silly rediculous comments like this are unnecessary, don't you think she realises now the dangers! No mention of why the attacker was round there though? Think before you comment... smw2012
  • Score: 24

12:39pm Sun 3 Aug 14

Gore Seer says...

It Is Just A Back Street, My Ex Was Robed While Sat In Car In Bury, She Was A Little Latter Robed Taking Clothes To A Charity Shop In town Centre, Girls Have Been Raped In Farnworth Park In Broad Daylight, I Was Assaulted On Folds Road In Daylight Out Side A Pub.
It Is Just A Back Street, My Ex Was Robed While Sat In Car In Bury, She Was A Little Latter Robed Taking Clothes To A Charity Shop In town Centre, Girls Have Been Raped In Farnworth Park In Broad Daylight, I Was Assaulted On Folds Road In Daylight Out Side A Pub. Gore Seer
  • Score: -10

1:29pm Sun 3 Aug 14

johnnywomble9 says...

smw2012 wrote:
catsden wrote: Yes I agree, but what the hell was an 18 year old doing walking alone at that time of a morning, it is stupid.
Catsden : don't we love in a free country? Where females & males can walk anywhere at anytime without fearing this happening to them? Also do you know why the young lady was there? Being as there's a taxi rank 30seconds away? And clubs open til ridiculous hours anyway! Maybe she ended up there because he dragged her? Like the report said! You don't know this young ladies situation or what she is going through! Silly rediculous comments like this are unnecessary, don't you think she realises now the dangers! No mention of why the attacker was round there though? Think before you comment...
Yes we live in a free country. We also live in a world where evil people roam and at that time in a morning when most of society are in bed the evil scrote come out especially in secluded alleyways.what happened is despicable and should never happen bit what the other person is saying is when girls are out at that time in a morning they shouldn't be alone.
[quote][p][bold]smw2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]catsden[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree, but what the hell was an 18 year old doing walking alone at that time of a morning, it is stupid.[/p][/quote]Catsden : don't we love in a free country? Where females & males can walk anywhere at anytime without fearing this happening to them? Also do you know why the young lady was there? Being as there's a taxi rank 30seconds away? And clubs open til ridiculous hours anyway! Maybe she ended up there because he dragged her? Like the report said! You don't know this young ladies situation or what she is going through! Silly rediculous comments like this are unnecessary, don't you think she realises now the dangers! No mention of why the attacker was round there though? Think before you comment...[/p][/quote]Yes we live in a free country. We also live in a world where evil people roam and at that time in a morning when most of society are in bed the evil scrote come out especially in secluded alleyways.what happened is despicable and should never happen bit what the other person is saying is when girls are out at that time in a morning they shouldn't be alone. johnnywomble9
  • Score: 9

2:39pm Sun 3 Aug 14

catsden says...

SMW12 My comments were neither ridiculous nor silly, all I was saying what was a 18 year old woman doing on her own at that time of morning just get you facts right. Yes we do live in a free country, but there are a lot of evil people about today, regardless whether he dragged her there or not she was still on her own and that is the point I am making, I don't know if you have daughters, but how would you feel if it was your daughter out at that time of a morning ON HER OWN, nor do you know her situation, so I suggest you don't post nasty comments, I was just being sensible, and reading your comments you should do the same.
SMW12 My comments were neither ridiculous nor silly, all I was saying what was a 18 year old woman doing on her own at that time of morning just get you facts right. Yes we do live in a free country, but there are a lot of evil people about today, regardless whether he dragged her there or not she was still on her own and that is the point I am making, I don't know if you have daughters, but how would you feel if it was your daughter out at that time of a morning ON HER OWN, nor do you know her situation, so I suggest you don't post nasty comments, I was just being sensible, and reading your comments you should do the same. catsden
  • Score: -7

2:42pm Sun 3 Aug 14

catsden says...

By the way SMW 12 It is don't we LIVE in a free Country not LOVE, just thought I would get my own back
By the way SMW 12 It is don't we LIVE in a free Country not LOVE, just thought I would get my own back catsden
  • Score: -3

4:19pm Sun 3 Aug 14

Lancashire always says...

MissPeg wrote:
It's all very well and good to say let's gate it, but surely that will cause just as much of a risk to people using the alley to collect cars? The time it takes to unlock the gate, then lock it again behind your car - assuming that is what is being proposed here. Or is it suggested we gate it at night so nobody can use it?

What about fire safety? It's a fire exit route for some premises that back onto the road, so how are people supposed to get out safely and quickly if there's a gate that's locked?

I understand people's worries and concerns, but there has only been one serious incident in the 18 months I've been aware of this alleyway. It was bad luck, in a way, that the incident happened in the alley and not elsewhere in the area. We can't panic and look for solutions to stop incidents from occurring just because something happens once.
Something that happened once ? What a horrible thing to say she didn't trip up and break a heel she was violated in the most horrific way and must have been terrified ! it will take her years to get over this` there is a taxi rank round there and I have walked to it with friends myself perhaps cameras could be fitted if the road is used or if the council put yellow lines on the road they could then put remote gates in for the Businesses and don't tell me about the cost is too expensive they pay enough Business rates to justify the cost !
[quote][p][bold]MissPeg[/bold] wrote: It's all very well and good to say let's gate it, but surely that will cause just as much of a risk to people using the alley to collect cars? The time it takes to unlock the gate, then lock it again behind your car - assuming that is what is being proposed here. Or is it suggested we gate it at night so nobody can use it? What about fire safety? It's a fire exit route for some premises that back onto the road, so how are people supposed to get out safely and quickly if there's a gate that's locked? I understand people's worries and concerns, but there has only been one serious incident in the 18 months I've been aware of this alleyway. It was bad luck, in a way, that the incident happened in the alley and not elsewhere in the area. We can't panic and look for solutions to stop incidents from occurring just because something happens once.[/p][/quote]Something that happened once ? What a horrible thing to say she didn't trip up and break a heel she was violated in the most horrific way and must have been terrified ! it will take her years to get over this` there is a taxi rank round there and I have walked to it with friends myself perhaps cameras could be fitted if the road is used or if the council put yellow lines on the road they could then put remote gates in for the Businesses and don't tell me about the cost is too expensive they pay enough Business rates to justify the cost ! Lancashire always
  • Score: 4

6:05pm Sun 3 Aug 14

smw2012 says...

Catsden:let's just say I know a lot more than you about this story. I agree she shouldn't be alone at that time. You don't know the story so stop judging
Catsden:let's just say I know a lot more than you about this story. I agree she shouldn't be alone at that time. You don't know the story so stop judging smw2012
  • Score: 1

6:12pm Sun 3 Aug 14

MissPeg says...

Lancashire always wrote:
MissPeg wrote:
It's all very well and good to say let's gate it, but surely that will cause just as much of a risk to people using the alley to collect cars? The time it takes to unlock the gate, then lock it again behind your car - assuming that is what is being proposed here. Or is it suggested we gate it at night so nobody can use it?

What about fire safety? It's a fire exit route for some premises that back onto the road, so how are people supposed to get out safely and quickly if there's a gate that's locked?

I understand people's worries and concerns, but there has only been one serious incident in the 18 months I've been aware of this alleyway. It was bad luck, in a way, that the incident happened in the alley and not elsewhere in the area. We can't panic and look for solutions to stop incidents from occurring just because something happens once.
Something that happened once ? What a horrible thing to say she didn't trip up and break a heel she was violated in the most horrific way and must have been terrified ! it will take her years to get over this` there is a taxi rank round there and I have walked to it with friends myself perhaps cameras could be fitted if the road is used or if the council put yellow lines on the road they could then put remote gates in for the Businesses and don't tell me about the cost is too expensive they pay enough Business rates to justify the cost !
I was not commenting on the experience of the girl. I was commenting on the fact this crime is isolated, it is not something that happens every other week and so should not be treated as a dangerous area that needs to be cut off. As has been pointed out by others, the incident could and has happened in daylight/other less isolated locations.

Of course the girls experience is serious and horrible and she will have to live with it for the rest of her life. I don't doubt that, or deny it at all. My comments were not trivialising her experience, they were commenting on the crime rate in the alley.

I think you'll find it's not all businesses that back on to the alley and not all businesses make tons of money, and also, some premises do have CCTV that covers the back alley/Bark Street East opposite the taxi rank.
[quote][p][bold]Lancashire always[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MissPeg[/bold] wrote: It's all very well and good to say let's gate it, but surely that will cause just as much of a risk to people using the alley to collect cars? The time it takes to unlock the gate, then lock it again behind your car - assuming that is what is being proposed here. Or is it suggested we gate it at night so nobody can use it? What about fire safety? It's a fire exit route for some premises that back onto the road, so how are people supposed to get out safely and quickly if there's a gate that's locked? I understand people's worries and concerns, but there has only been one serious incident in the 18 months I've been aware of this alleyway. It was bad luck, in a way, that the incident happened in the alley and not elsewhere in the area. We can't panic and look for solutions to stop incidents from occurring just because something happens once.[/p][/quote]Something that happened once ? What a horrible thing to say she didn't trip up and break a heel she was violated in the most horrific way and must have been terrified ! it will take her years to get over this` there is a taxi rank round there and I have walked to it with friends myself perhaps cameras could be fitted if the road is used or if the council put yellow lines on the road they could then put remote gates in for the Businesses and don't tell me about the cost is too expensive they pay enough Business rates to justify the cost ![/p][/quote]I was not commenting on the experience of the girl. I was commenting on the fact this crime is isolated, it is not something that happens every other week and so should not be treated as a dangerous area that needs to be cut off. As has been pointed out by others, the incident could and has happened in daylight/other less isolated locations. Of course the girls experience is serious and horrible and she will have to live with it for the rest of her life. I don't doubt that, or deny it at all. My comments were not trivialising her experience, they were commenting on the crime rate in the alley. I think you'll find it's not all businesses that back on to the alley and not all businesses make tons of money, and also, some premises do have CCTV that covers the back alley/Bark Street East opposite the taxi rank. MissPeg
  • Score: -1

7:01pm Sun 3 Aug 14

catsden says...

smw2012 wrote:
Catsden:let's just say I know a lot more than you about this story. I agree she shouldn't be alone at that time. You don't know the story so stop judging
Stop being so childish no one is judging, I suggest you grow up and get a life, ALL I WAS SAYING SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ALONE, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT, JUST COMMON SENSE, NO I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE STORY,ONLY WHAT I AM READING I REPEAT ONCE AGAIN I AM JUST STATING THE OBVIOUS SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WALKING ALONE, AND ALL THE SENSIBLE PEOPLE WILL AGREE, DON'T GET YOUR POINT AT ALL I AM NOT JUDGING SO JUST STOP BEING SO BIG HEADED.
[quote][p][bold]smw2012[/bold] wrote: Catsden:let's just say I know a lot more than you about this story. I agree she shouldn't be alone at that time. You don't know the story so stop judging[/p][/quote]Stop being so childish no one is judging, I suggest you grow up and get a life, ALL I WAS SAYING SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ALONE, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT, JUST COMMON SENSE, NO I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE STORY,ONLY WHAT I AM READING I REPEAT ONCE AGAIN I AM JUST STATING THE OBVIOUS SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WALKING ALONE, AND ALL THE SENSIBLE PEOPLE WILL AGREE, DON'T GET YOUR POINT AT ALL I AM NOT JUDGING SO JUST STOP BEING SO BIG HEADED. catsden
  • Score: -1

7:56pm Sun 3 Aug 14

RachaelAD says...

I wish more people would say "what the hell was the guy doing prowling for women late at night" rather than asking why the poor victim was alone. No one should have to feel so unsafe that they can't even walk to a taxi rank a couple of minutes away on their own. Better safety precautions are definitely a good thing!
I wish more people would say "what the hell was the guy doing prowling for women late at night" rather than asking why the poor victim was alone. No one should have to feel so unsafe that they can't even walk to a taxi rank a couple of minutes away on their own. Better safety precautions are definitely a good thing! RachaelAD
  • Score: 15

8:33pm Sun 3 Aug 14

smw2012 says...

RachaelAD wrote:
I wish more people would say "what the hell was the guy doing prowling for women late at night" rather than asking why the poor victim was alone. No one should have to feel so unsafe that they can't even walk to a taxi rank a couple of minutes away on their own. Better safety precautions are definitely a good thing!
Exactly! Well said, some people don't see what's wrong in questioning the females whereabouts but not questioning the offenders? People are to quick to call a girl stupid walking alone, when the offender doesn't get a mention! No wonder Bolton is the hole it is with judgemental people saying it's stupid to walk alone... People don't get the effect these mindless comments have on these victims... Thank you for seeing this and pointing out the absolute obvious !
[quote][p][bold]RachaelAD[/bold] wrote: I wish more people would say "what the hell was the guy doing prowling for women late at night" rather than asking why the poor victim was alone. No one should have to feel so unsafe that they can't even walk to a taxi rank a couple of minutes away on their own. Better safety precautions are definitely a good thing![/p][/quote]Exactly! Well said, some people don't see what's wrong in questioning the females whereabouts but not questioning the offenders? People are to quick to call a girl stupid walking alone, when the offender doesn't get a mention! No wonder Bolton is the hole it is with judgemental people saying it's stupid to walk alone... People don't get the effect these mindless comments have on these victims... Thank you for seeing this and pointing out the absolute obvious ! smw2012
  • Score: 11

5:07am Mon 4 Aug 14

chanie27 says...

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE YOUNG GIRL IN QUESTION AS I MY SELF AV BEEN SILLY ENOUGHT TO WALK HOME AT THAT TIME OFF NIGHT AS WE DON'T THINK IT WILL HAPPEN TILL IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS! So Ithink we should all stop and think! DON'T THINK ITWWON'T HAPPEN BECAUSE THIS INCIDENT WE NEED TO ALL LEARN FROM INCLUDING MYSELF..... May be the punishment for these offences should be more lengthtend and Show a exAmple
MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE YOUNG GIRL IN QUESTION AS I MY SELF AV BEEN SILLY ENOUGHT TO WALK HOME AT THAT TIME OFF NIGHT AS WE DON'T THINK IT WILL HAPPEN TILL IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS! So Ithink we should all stop and think! DON'T THINK ITWWON'T HAPPEN BECAUSE THIS INCIDENT WE NEED TO ALL LEARN FROM INCLUDING MYSELF..... May be the punishment for these offences should be more lengthtend and Show a exAmple chanie27
  • Score: 3

11:03pm Mon 4 Aug 14

BIG ERN says...

Gore Seer wrote:
It Is Just A Back Street, My Ex Was Robed While Sat In Car In Bury, She Was A Little Latter Robed Taking Clothes To A Charity Shop In town Centre, Girls Have Been Raped In Farnworth Park In Broad Daylight, I Was Assaulted On Folds Road In Daylight Out Side A Pub.
Will you sort your **** typing out!
[quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: It Is Just A Back Street, My Ex Was Robed While Sat In Car In Bury, She Was A Little Latter Robed Taking Clothes To A Charity Shop In town Centre, Girls Have Been Raped In Farnworth Park In Broad Daylight, I Was Assaulted On Folds Road In Daylight Out Side A Pub.[/p][/quote]Will you sort your **** typing out! BIG ERN
  • Score: 0

11:04pm Mon 4 Aug 14

BIG ERN says...

catsden wrote:
Yes I agree, but what the hell was an 18 year old doing walking alone at that time of a morning, it is stupid.
Stupid comment of the year.
[quote][p][bold]catsden[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree, but what the hell was an 18 year old doing walking alone at that time of a morning, it is stupid.[/p][/quote]Stupid comment of the year. BIG ERN
  • Score: 0

11:06pm Mon 4 Aug 14

BIG ERN says...

RachaelAD wrote:
I wish more people would say "what the hell was the guy doing prowling for women late at night" rather than asking why the poor victim was alone. No one should have to feel so unsafe that they can't even walk to a taxi rank a couple of minutes away on their own. Better safety precautions are definitely a good thing!
you win the internet today. Top comment and so true! Far too easy to focus on the woman walking late on her own
[quote][p][bold]RachaelAD[/bold] wrote: I wish more people would say "what the hell was the guy doing prowling for women late at night" rather than asking why the poor victim was alone. No one should have to feel so unsafe that they can't even walk to a taxi rank a couple of minutes away on their own. Better safety precautions are definitely a good thing![/p][/quote]you win the internet today. Top comment and so true! Far too easy to focus on the woman walking late on her own BIG ERN
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree