A MAN accused of rape has been found dead on the day he was due to appear at Bolton Crown Court.
Kennedy Greenway, aged 54, of Newby Road, Breightmet, was charged with three counts of raping a woman between March 1, 1999, and August 1, 1999.
He had not entered a plea.
Greenway failed to attend the preliminary hearing and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
Bolton Crown Court heard today Greenway had contacted his solicitors saying he was going to kill himself.
Several hours later Greenway’s body was found in a house in Accrington.
A Lancashire Police spokesman said: “Police were called at 1.48pm to an address on Belfield Road, Accrington.
"Inside the property officers found a man who was deceased. There are no suspicious circumstances.”
- Police hunt sledgehammer-wielding thugs after 'terrifying' supermarket robbery
- 'Bring back Big Sam' petition launched by football fan
- X Factor hopeful Christian Burrows talks about rise to stardom
- Bolton Wanderers stars inspire pupils’ language learning
- Danger driver jailed after police chase