A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a woman’s body was found in a garden.
Police were called to a home in Wigan Road, Leigh, just after midnight this morning after a member of the public called police to say they were worried about a woman.
The woman’s body was then found in the back garden of the home.
The woman has not yet been identified but is believed to be in her late 50s or early 60s.
A post-mortem examination will take place later today.
A 57-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is now in police custody.
Det Supt Jon Chadwick said: “This investigation remains very much in its infancy and our inquiries are focused on building up a picture of what happened in the weeks, day and hours leading up to this woman’s death.
“I understand this may cause concern and unrest in the local community.
"Clearly I cannot go into specific details of the investigation but I want to try and reassure residents that at this stage, we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this woman's death and this appears to be an isolated and tragic incident.
“Officers will be both at the house and in the area in the coming days as the investigation progresses so if anyone has either any information, or concerns about what has happened, they can approach an officer and speak to them, in confidence if needed.”
- UPDATED: Teenage driver in critical condition after horror crash
- Teenage shop worker who walked elderly man home from Aldi becomes viral sensation
- Woman suffers smoke damage after fire in adjoining house
- New memorial to remember Bolton men who died during Gallipoli campaign unveiled during moving service
- JAILED: Bakery worker who threatened to kill work colleague and young son after she rejected his sexual advances
A neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: "They kept themselves to themselves. I didn't know anything until I woke up this morning.
"I hadn't noticed anything strange in the last couple of weeks."
Anyone with information can call the police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.