A mattress fire in Farnworth has prompted a warning from the fire service about wasting emergency resources.

Three fire engines, a police car and ambulance were all called to Brian Road in the early hours of the morning after a resident set fire to a mattress.

The resident is believed to have started the fire at around 3am but called 999 when they feared it was getting out of control.

Farnworth crew manger Rik Ridings said: “They were trying to dispose of it by setting it on fire rather than taking it to the tip.

“The fire didn’t spread to the house but in panic they dispatched three fire engines to it.

“This draws away a lot of resources from Bolton. He was told off because he should not have been having the fire.”