A PIECE of history was made at the Kensite Stadium as Atherton Collieries took on Ossett Town for the first time in the club’s history.

It was not a winning first meeting for Colls, however, as Ossett collected the points in a 2-0 victory, maintaining their 100 per cent record away from home.

Keen to bounce back from Tuesday’s defeat at Prescot Cables, Colls manager Michael Clegg shook things up, bringing in George West and Johnny Gorman with new signing Ashley Woods making his debut in attack.

Three points would be no easy task though, as the visitors were one game away from promotion last season, and are keen to get the job done this time around.

Ultimately, this Evo-Stik match winning experience made the difference on the rather damp Kensite surface, playing host to a rather routine win for the visitors.

Ossett were simply more clinical as they took the chances presented to them in a game that was mainly played in midfield.

They had been the first to threaten on 15 minutes, Corey Gregory heading over Atherton stopper Adam Reid just yards from goal, but the Colls stopper did well to back-pedal and collect the ball.

As the half progressed, Colls settled and played some of their better football of the afternoon.

With easy-on-the-eye, attacking football the order of the day, Ossett struggled to cope and, on the half-hour mark, the visitors’ keeper Leigh Overton was called into action, saving well from Chris Lynch’s bullet header.

It had seemed Lynch’s effort was destined for the top corner but Overton somehow reached the ball andpushed it to safety.

The two sides continued to cancel one another out throughout the second half and, as a result, very little quality was on show.

Ten minutes into the second half, Ossett got their breakthrough.

An in-swinging free-kick was riffled into the back of the net by the troublesome Gregory who was lurking at the far post, Reid helpless as the ball flew past him.

An instant Atherton response ensued and winger Gorman was

denied at close range as he poked the ball straight at the keeper’s legs.

There was very little drive or energy from both sides, a rarity in a game involving the Collieries.

However, once again the visitors flexed their Evo-Stik muscles and doubled their advantage on 71 minutes.

Hancock was allowed to slip through thanks to a fine, defence-splitting, ball.

One-on-one with Reid, Hancock finished well as he lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper and into the back of the net.

At 2-0 it became obvious that the game was over, Town having the three points in the bag.

Colls struggled to create any clear-cut chances and, as a result, fell to their second defeat of the Evo-Stik League North Division season.

Late in the day, Reid made a superb double save to make sure the hosts at least left the field with a more respectable scoreline.

It may have been a disappointing defeat for Clegg’s side but full respect was paid to Ossett Town, who were professional and businesslike and got the job done. 

On Saturday Colls will have an immediate chance for revenge when they visit Ossett Town in the second qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup.

They took a point from last night's league game at home to Bamber Bridge, Ben Hardcastle equalising in the second half of their 1-1 draw.