A MOTHER who was finding it difficult to cope with her son died after taking a paracetamol overdose, an inquest heard.

Julie Anne Haslam was seen twice by doctors at the Royal Bolton Hospital in 48 hours for overdosing on medication before she took a fatal amount of the painkiller.

Miss Haslam of Alberta Street, Deane, who had a son with learning difficulties, had told doctors of suicidal feelings after her first admission in which she had taken a cocktail of medication.

Both times Miss Haslam, who had another child who died at the age of 13, was discharged with follow-up care arranged by the crisis resolution team, who had visited her and arranged daily meetings at her home.

She denied feeling suicidal when questioned by doctors following the second visit.

But on November 23, 2009, she was taken to hospital again after being found unconscious at her home by her mother.

She suffered kidney damage and severe liver damage and died the following day. It is not known how many pills she took.

Doctors said they had no reason not to believe that Miss Haslam, a cleaner, had taken anything other than eight paracetamol — a dose unlikely to pose serious risk.

Miss Haslam, who died aged 45, has a son Nathan, aged 21, who has learning difficulties.

Her mother Maureen Ham, who lives in Cressingham Road, Bolton, said: “She found it hard to cope.”

Recording a narrative verdict Deputy Coroner Alan Walsh said: “Julie Anne Haslam died from acute hepatic failure due to paracetamol overdose.

“In the circumstances it’s not possible, even on the balance of probabilities, to establish when the paracetamol was ingested, nor her intentions at the time of ingestion.”

After the inquest Miss Ham, was too distressed to speak, but speaking on her behalf, her solicitor, Helen Lewis, a specialist in clinical negligence at Manchester law firm Pannone, said: “We will now be investigating further on behalf of our client and pursuing a claim for compensation as appropriate.”