Fury as old library put up for sale

HOPES to transform Astley Bridge library into a community centre have been dashed after Bolton Council ann-ounced it will be sold.

Town Hall chiefs agreed this week to sell the building to the highest bidder, sparking anger from ward councillors who had been hoping to keep the building for local residents.

The decision was made at a council meeting.

Ward councillor John Walsh said: “Ward councillors had not been informed the building was being sold.Alternative uses for the building had been drawn up so it would stay within the community, but the council has ridden roughshod over 18 months of a lot of hard work.

“Officers or members did not have the courtesy to tell ward councillors about this, it was snuck through at the executive in Part B, which is a private part of the meeting.”

He added: “Now the building, which could have been used for alternative community use, including having a library of some description, is being disposed of and I want assurances it will not be left empty for long.”

Ward councillors’ options for Astley Bridge Library, which closed in April and was replaced by a neighbourhood collection point, included turning it into a community-led library as residents in Edgworth have done with The Barlow, or keeping the building for the community, or an after-school club.

A Bolton Council spokesman said: “We are aware of some strong interest in the building and the council will work on obtaining the best price. We have investigated a number of options and feel that some of the suggestions made in the business plans could be explored through existing services..”

Council officers said a decision on the future of the building, which is currently empty, had to be made quickly to stop it becoming a magnet for thieves and vandals.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:50am Fri 22 Jun 12

wild one says...

Mosque?
Mosque? wild one
  • Score: 4

10:03am Fri 22 Jun 12

atlas123 says...

Its difficult to see many other uses for the building as it stands.... Does it have a carpark?
Its difficult to see many other uses for the building as it stands.... Does it have a carpark? atlas123
  • Score: -1

10:55am Fri 22 Jun 12

Undetectableman says...

No worries folks Tesco will buy it, with consent from our wonderful planners and then **** up all the area just like is going to happen in Little Lever and another concern is the fact that your ward councillors know nothing about it ...... tail wagging dog?
No worries folks Tesco will buy it, with consent from our wonderful planners and then **** up all the area just like is going to happen in Little Lever and another concern is the fact that your ward councillors know nothing about it ...... tail wagging dog? Undetectableman
  • Score: 1

11:13am Fri 22 Jun 12

atlas123 says...

Undetectableman wrote:
No worries folks Tesco will buy it, with consent from our wonderful planners and then **** up all the area just like is going to happen in Little Lever and another concern is the fact that your ward councillors know nothing about it ...... tail wagging dog?
If you feel that way about your councillors vote 'em out, or better still stand youself!

However I suspect you are in a minority like usual when the new Tesco opens it will not be short of patrons a true sign of the local community voting with their feet!
[quote][p][bold]Undetectableman[/bold] wrote: No worries folks Tesco will buy it, with consent from our wonderful planners and then **** up all the area just like is going to happen in Little Lever and another concern is the fact that your ward councillors know nothing about it ...... tail wagging dog?[/p][/quote]If you feel that way about your councillors vote 'em out, or better still stand youself! However I suspect you are in a [vocal] minority like usual when the new Tesco opens it will not be short of patrons a true sign of the local community voting with their feet! atlas123
  • Score: 2

11:35am Fri 22 Jun 12

exiled says...

A lesson for the councillors to realise they are like everyone else, and should not expect any privelege or favour to learn beforehand. Hope they get a bloody nose!
A lesson for the councillors to realise they are like everyone else, and should not expect any privelege or favour to learn beforehand. Hope they get a bloody nose! exiled
  • Score: 1

1:19pm Fri 22 Jun 12

geezer01 says...

Hi Pussywhack u back again with your sad rants,u must be such a low life scally,go comment on your smack head mates you little coward GO GET A LIFE,stupid ****
Hi Pussywhack u back again with your sad rants,u must be such a low life scally,go comment on your smack head mates you little coward GO GET A LIFE,stupid **** geezer01
  • Score: -12

1:36pm Fri 22 Jun 12

geomacg@gmail.com says...

No need for a Tesco, Adsa did that 30 years ago.
This stinks, and looks like the labour party getting revenge on Astley Bridge for being a conservative voting area over the years.
To sneak this in using a closed door method is not acceptable and highlights deceitful behaviour that should never be employed by those in power. power corrupts does it not?.

100+ years ago a great man called Carnegie gave Bolton and many other towns libraries. He could see the long term benefits.
Put Cllr Morris against him and you see a minnow by comparison.
this library was gifted to the people of Bolton, do the council have the right to sell it, an honourable person would offer it back to the institute that donated it in the first place. not the council, get a fast buck, look to the short term - Pathetic
No need for a Tesco, Adsa did that 30 years ago. This stinks, and looks like the labour party getting revenge on Astley Bridge for being a conservative voting area over the years. To sneak this in using a closed door method is not acceptable and highlights deceitful behaviour that should never be employed by those in power. power corrupts does it not?. 100+ years ago a great man called Carnegie gave Bolton and many other towns libraries. He could see the long term benefits. Put Cllr Morris against him and you see a minnow by comparison. this library was gifted to the people of Bolton, do the council have the right to sell it, an honourable person would offer it back to the institute that donated it in the first place. not the council, get a fast buck, look to the short term - Pathetic geomacg@gmail.com
  • Score: 7

1:49pm Fri 22 Jun 12

paddywhack says...

The comment I have made is true again, or will you deny that many other community centres/islamic schools don't exist and that they don't suddenly rise from any unused pub, library, school, church etc? A basic search on bolton planning website will show that the prince rupert, bowling green (blackburn rd & escrick st) east lodge heaton cemetery, have all had planning passed for "community centre with prayer room!" Bolton library have no planning application yet, but watch this space!
The comment I have made is true again, or will you deny that many other community centres/islamic schools don't exist and that they don't suddenly rise from any unused pub, library, school, church etc? A basic search on bolton planning website will show that the prince rupert, bowling green (blackburn rd & escrick st) east lodge heaton cemetery, have all had planning passed for "community centre with prayer room!" Bolton library have no planning application yet, but watch this space! paddywhack
  • Score: 12

2:37pm Fri 22 Jun 12

jennykeith says...

probably a mosque...nothing for our young ones?? youth club..or something like that..theres nothing like that around here
probably a mosque...nothing for our young ones?? youth club..or something like that..theres nothing like that around here jennykeith
  • Score: 8

3:44pm Fri 22 Jun 12

exiled says...

The library has closed because there's not enough demand and use locally, so why the complaints about its disposal? if the locals feel so strongly about it then club together and buy it.
The library has closed because there's not enough demand and use locally, so why the complaints about its disposal? if the locals feel so strongly about it then club together and buy it. exiled
  • Score: -2

4:00pm Fri 22 Jun 12

paddywhack says...

exiled wrote:
The library has closed because there's not enough demand and use locally, so why the complaints about its disposal? if the locals feel so strongly about it then club together and buy it.
Whip round at the masjid everyone!
[quote][p][bold]exiled[/bold] wrote: The library has closed because there's not enough demand and use locally, so why the complaints about its disposal? if the locals feel so strongly about it then club together and buy it.[/p][/quote]Whip round at the masjid everyone! paddywhack
  • Score: 4

5:35pm Fri 22 Jun 12

geezer01 says...

Pussywhack why don't you try and buy it then you little trap,yes you and ur scum EDL mates and that's your lover isn't it the wild one hahaha, both of you pure envious little people, proper ****!!
Pussywhack why don't you try and buy it then you little trap,yes you and ur scum EDL mates and that's your lover isn't it the wild one hahaha, both of you pure envious little people, proper ****!! geezer01
  • Score: -10

6:59pm Fri 22 Jun 12

paddywhack says...

geezer01 wrote:
Pussywhack why don't you try and buy it then you little trap,yes you and ur scum EDL mates and that's your lover isn't it the wild one hahaha, both of you pure envious little people, proper ****!!
Yawn yawn, change the record geezer, you brainwashed feck face!!
[quote][p][bold]geezer01[/bold] wrote: Pussywhack why don't you try and buy it then you little trap,yes you and ur scum EDL mates and that's your lover isn't it the wild one hahaha, both of you pure envious little people, proper ****!![/p][/quote]Yawn yawn, change the record geezer, you brainwashed feck face!! paddywhack
  • Score: 8

7:02pm Fri 22 Jun 12

shireen says...

paddywhack wrote:
exiled wrote:
The library has closed because there's not enough demand and use locally, so why the complaints about its disposal? if the locals feel so strongly about it then club together and buy it.
Whip round at the masjid everyone!
I could remember my husband telling me that when zakaria mosque needed the money to erect a new building opposite the old site on peace they raised £600.000 within 3-4 hrs one saturday night by the locals.
[quote][p][bold]paddywhack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]exiled[/bold] wrote: The library has closed because there's not enough demand and use locally, so why the complaints about its disposal? if the locals feel so strongly about it then club together and buy it.[/p][/quote]Whip round at the masjid everyone![/p][/quote]I could remember my husband telling me that when zakaria mosque needed the money to erect a new building opposite the old site on peace they raised £600.000 within 3-4 hrs one saturday night by the locals. shireen
  • Score: 4

7:27pm Sun 24 Jun 12

CliffMorris says...

shireen wrote:
paddywhack wrote:
exiled wrote:
The library has closed because there's not enough demand and use locally, so why the complaints about its disposal? if the locals feel so strongly about it then club together and buy it.
Whip round at the masjid everyone!
I could remember my husband telling me that when zakaria mosque needed the money to erect a new building opposite the old site on peace they raised £600.000 within 3-4 hrs one saturday night by the locals.
everyone notice the pattern with this "pussywhack, Paddywhack" or whatever he calls himself, are you EDL in disguise? hiding behind your computer? on the dole? nothing better to do these muslims have taken our jobs? LOL get a life ya low life turd!
[quote][p][bold]shireen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]paddywhack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]exiled[/bold] wrote: The library has closed because there's not enough demand and use locally, so why the complaints about its disposal? if the locals feel so strongly about it then club together and buy it.[/p][/quote]Whip round at the masjid everyone![/p][/quote]I could remember my husband telling me that when zakaria mosque needed the money to erect a new building opposite the old site on peace they raised £600.000 within 3-4 hrs one saturday night by the locals.[/p][/quote]everyone notice the pattern with this "pussywhack, Paddywhack" or whatever he calls himself, are you EDL in disguise? hiding behind your computer? on the dole? nothing better to do these muslims have taken our jobs? LOL get a life ya low life turd! CliffMorris
  • Score: -9

7:29pm Sun 24 Jun 12

CliffMorris says...

paddywhack? bet you claim more benefits than all the asians in bolton put together, your a sad geeza who needs cheering up, come round to the mosque i'll feed you a nice curry
paddywhack? bet you claim more benefits than all the asians in bolton put together, your a sad geeza who needs cheering up, come round to the mosque i'll feed you a nice curry CliffMorris
  • Score: -9

9:05am Mon 25 Jun 12

paddywhack says...

Bet you this, bet you that cliff your a fool, thought good muslims didn't bet? Anyway wouldn't step a foot in smelly masjid unless I had a significant pile of guttri goo on my foot, and don't eat no halal muck either, was round at my asian friends house yesterday and had a lovely curry with his family though!
Bet you this, bet you that cliff your a fool, thought good muslims didn't bet? Anyway wouldn't step a foot in smelly masjid unless I had a significant pile of guttri goo on my foot, and don't eat no halal muck either, was round at my asian friends house yesterday and had a lovely curry with his family though! paddywhack
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree