Ironman hoping to return in 2013
9:21am Monday 23rd July 2012 in News
NEGOTIATIONS are under way to bring Ironman back to Bolton next year, according to event bosses.
Ironman UK managing director Kevin Stewart said he was keen to bring the event back to Bolton following the success of yesterday. He said: “The answer is that we want to come back, but need to sort out dates for next year. I know Bolton Council are keen to have us back, but we need to get permission from other people in Lancashire.”
Mr Stewart said the event had been an all-round success. He added: “It’s been a great day so far. When you see what people put themselves through to complete the challenge, it’s very emotional for themselves, their families and the spectators.
“This year we’ve worked very closely with Bolton Council and we’ve both got more out of it as an event. We’ve put on a lot more entertainment around the course and at the finish line and later we’ll be putting on a party for all of the athletes.
“When the weather’s as good as this, more people will come out to watch it, but we hope new spectators will see it’s a great event to watch and come back.”
Last year some residents and small businesses complained about the inconvenience of road closures, but Mr Stewart said organisers had worked hard to minimise disruption. He said: “Every year is different and every year we learn how we can make it better. Communication between everyone involved is the key here and we try and give as much information out as possible to the those affected by the event. It’s just a case of people being made aware of alternative roads and access.”
Comments are closed on this article.