Homes evacuated following terrorism arrest in Horwich
3:30pm Wednesday 5th September 2012 in News
ARRESTED: Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences after police find "suspicious substances" at house in Cheriton Gardens, Horwich
SEVERAL homes were evacuated after anti-terrorism police swooped on a house in Horwich.
Police say they found some "suspicious substances" in the property in Cheriton Gardens and about six flats have been evacuated as a precaution while the substances are examined.
Army bomb disposal experts, using a robotic drone, said a "device" discovered in the house had been found to be safe.
Eyewitnesses have said police were examining a bin, which had wires hanging out of it.
Evacuated residents have been allowed to return to their homes.
A 38-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of possesing information linked to terrorism and possession of indecent images.
The homes were evacuated at 10am today when police executed search warrants at two houses in in Cheriton Gardens and Ormston Avenue, Horwich.
The raid was said to be pre-planned and part of an investigation into the possession and distribution of indecent images.
The man was arrested on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act 2000: possessing information likely to be useful for a person committing or preparing for acts of terrorism and offences under the Explosives Act.
The raids were supported by officers from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit.
The area is currently cordoned off and motorists are being advised to avoid the area while emergency services deal with the scene.
Supt Steve Nibloe, from Bolton police, said: “We are in the very early stages of this incident and I want to reassure residents that we have no evidence yet that anyone has been in any danger.
“The measures taken are merely a precaution.
“However, we have discovered some suspicious substances in the house on Cheriton Gardens and we are in the process of having them examined.
“As a result we have asked a number of households to leave the immediate area to ensure they are a safe distance away from the property.
“We are working with our colleagues at the fire brigade and Bolton Council to ensure that disruption is kept to a minimum.
“In terms of the arrest I want to stress that there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that anyone in the community, or surrounding areas, are at immediate risk as a result of this investigation which centres on one individual only.
“We have no further details at this stage but will keep everyone updated with developments as and when we have them.”
Have you been affected? Call our newsdesk on 01204 537270