Family's lucky escape from bathroom candle blaze
Sadiyah Pathan, aged 15, left, with her mum mum Bilkish Pathan in the remains of the bathroom at their home in Bowness Road
A FAMILY is warning people to be careful with candles after a blaze destroyed their bathroom.
The fire started after a candle was left burning overnight in the bathroom of the house in Bowness Road, Deane.
Firefighters said the family were extremely lucky the door to the bathroom was closed — stopping the blaze from spreading to the rest of the house.
Parents Muhammed and Bilkish Pathan and their three daughters 22-year-old Shabana, 21-year-old Mariya and Sadiyah, aged 15, were alerted after a neighbour saw smoke coming from the house at about 7am and banged on the door.
Sadiyah said: “I thought it was work going on outside but it was so hot and when we realised it was a fire we all ran outside — we were so scared.
“I am so grateful to the neighbour because if we hadn’t been woken up I don’t think we would be here right now.”
Her mother Bilkish added: “I thought my daughter had fallen over but when I got to the bathroom I could see flames and tried to open the door. I am so pleased I couldn’t open it — who knows what could have happened if I had.”
The family has had issues with the electricity and had been using candles for light and warmth.
But Mrs Pathan fell asleep before blowing the bathroom candle out.
She added: “I would strongly advise people to put out candles when they feel tired.”
Cllr David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “Thankfully nobody was injured but it could have been so much worse.
“Closing internal doors — as the family did in this case — is really important because if there is a fire, it can dramatically stop the spread of smoke and reduce the damage.
“At this time of year as the days gets colder and darker it’s tempting to use candles but they can be dangerous — you can reduce the risk of fire by never leaving candles unattended, ensuring they are standing up straight and firmly fixed in a proper holder and making sure candles are fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house. Always place candles on a heat resistant surface and ensure you have a working smoke alarm that you test regularly. It could save your life.”
Comments are closed on this article.