A STUDENT who escaped a blaze at his home, says he owes his life to a smoke alarm that was fitted by Horwich firefighters.

A fire broke out in Daniel Chadwick’s home in Robinson Street, Horwich, at 2.30pm on Tuesday when a desk lamp set fire to his curtains in a spare room.

Mr Chadwick, aged 23, was asleep at the time and had accidentally left the lamp on his desk switched on.

The Bolton College student said: “I woke up to the sounding of the smoke alarm and my dogs barking. There was smoke everywhere.

“I really don’t think I would have got out alive if it wasn’t for the smoke alarm so I am very grateful to the firefighters who fitted it back in 2009.”

When firefighters arrived the upstairs rooms in the terraced house were already filled with smoke.

A computer screen, table lamp and set of curtains were damaged in the fire, which was sparked when heat from the bulb caused the curtains to set alight.

Crew manager Craig Lunt, from Horwich Fire Station, said: “Daniel was asleep in his bed and was woken by the smoke alarm we fitted in 2009.

“I think that the home safety check saved his life, and so does he.”

Mr Chadwick managed to put out the fire himself before firefighters used a fan to clear the smoke.

Cllr David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “While this man’s actions were extremely brave, we would not recommend that anyone tries to tackle a fire themselves.

“Our message is simply get out, stay out and call 999. Don’t leave lamps and other electrical heat sources next to flammable materials such as curtains, as they can easily overheat.

“If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out or switch off the power at the fuse — if it’s safe to do so.

“Never use water on an electrical fire and don’t take any risks.”

For a free home safety check, which may include the fitting of smoke alarms, call 0800 555815 or go to the fire service’s website.