85 year-old woman rescued after blanket blaze at Lowton

AN 85-year-old woman was rescued by firefighters when fire broke out in the bedroom of her Lowton home.

After receiving a call about 8.20pm last night Blue Watch firefighters entered a semi-detached house in Winton Road through a bedroom window and rescued the woman.

Watch Manager Michael Eckersall said: "Once we had gained entry through the bedroom window using a ladder, the lady was carried downstairs and then outside - where she was given oxygen by a GMFRS trauma technician before going to hospital."

The fire is thought to have started as a result of a fault with an electric blanket.

Councillor David Acton, Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: "People are understandably reaching for their heaters and electric blankets again with the freezing temperatures.

"We urge everyone to use such items with caution - ensure you follow the manufacturer's instructions and, if in any doubt your blanket or heater is not working absolutely perfectly, do not use it."

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree