Burning mattress tackled by Accrington firefighters
3:50pm Friday 22nd March 2013 in North West
BLACK smoke that appeared to be coming from a house in Accrington prompted a concerned neighbour to call the fire service.
Firefighters discovered a resident in Wordsworth Road burning an unwanted mattress in his back garden.
The blaze was extinguished with a hose and advice given to the person.
Crew manager Alex Fletcher said: “Financial constraints seem to be leading people to burn their rubbish. They should be putting it in a skip, taking it to a tip, or handing it over to the council. These incidents are a waste of our time and harmful to the environment.”
Two crews attended the scene on at 4.45pm yesterday, believing a house was on fire.
Comments are closed on this article.