Baby hedgehog found with piping stuck on its head
7:20am Friday 6th September 2013 in NW
A BABY hedgehog had to be rescued after getting its head stuck in plastic piping.
The small wild animal weighed only 146g when it was rescued and taken to Lowton resident Irene Thomson, who cut it free.
Irene, of Spruce Close, used to volunteer at a hedgehog rescue centre and knew what to do when a friend brought her the suffering creature.
Irene said: “The pipe covered its whole face and only its nose could be seen. It should still be with its mother, but without being able to see or hear, or even eat or drink, it became disorientated and was starving.
“We don’t know where the piece of pipe came from, whether it had been thrown or carried there by the wind, but the hedgehog couldn’t get out because of his prickles.”
On removing the piping, Irene saw that the baby hedgehog had open wounds around its neck, and took it to the vets before being taking it to Rochdale Rescue Centre.
Irene said: “The hedgehog was still lively and wriggling, so I think we caught it just in time, and hopefully with some antibiotics and treatment he will recover.
“I have heard so many stories of this kind of thing happening, like hedgehogs getting caught in elastic bands dropped by the postman or the loop of a christmas bauble. Hedgehogs get stuck in these when they are small, and as they grow it cuts into their skin and causes terrible injuries.”
Deirdre Brannigan and her daughter Kay Prescott spotted the baby hedgehog in their garden in Poolstock two weeks ago and took it to Irene.
“People don’t realise what littering can do or the damage that can be done to wildlife,” said Irene.
“Please put your litter in a bin and not in the bushes.”
Comments are closed on this article.