Chip pans cause two fires within minutes of each other
2:10pm Friday 18th October 2013 in NW
FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to ditch their chip pans after they were called to two fires within minutes of each other.
Crews from Hindley, Atherton and Leigh were called to Cameron Street in Leigh, at 6.24pm on Thursday following reports of a fire in a terraced house with people trapped inside.
When they arrived, a 74-year-old woman and an 85-year-old man managed to escape the house thanks to a working smoke alarm that had been fitted by Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) earlier this year.
Leigh Fire Station’s watch manager Michael Callan said: "The chip pan had been left unattended and caught fire. The couple managed to get out of the back of the house but because neighbours couldn't see them they thought they were still inside and one neighbour kicked the front door down and went into the house - but we would never recommend anyone to go back into a fire.
"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the house to do a full search and confirm there was nobody else inside and we ventilated the property.
"Thankfully the alarm was raised early as the couple had a working smoke alarm that we had fitted in Spring as part of a safety campaign in the area."
The couple were taken to hospital for a precautionary check-up.
The crew were on their way back from another chip pan incident in Lowton when they got the call to Cameron Street.
They had attended a similar incident in Fulwood Road at 6.05pm where a chip pan had been left unattended and caught fire.
Watch manager Callan said: "The resident had forgotten to put the chips in and the pan was smoking, so they put it into the sink and when it made contact with the water, that's when it burst into flames."
Nobody was injured and firefighters stayed to carry out a Home Safety Check as there were no smoke alarms in the house.
Comments are closed on this article.