Proposals to change taxi policy in Hyndburn met with anger

TAXI drivers in Hyndburn could be forced to buy newer cars, modify their vehicles, and remove advertisements, new plans revealed.

Hyndburn Council is proposing several changes to its taxi policy, and is consulting with taxi companies across the borough.

Private hire taxis older than seven years would be taken off the road, all hackney carriages would be required to fit a ‘swivel’ seat for disabled passengers, cars would have to meet emissions targets, and adverts on glasswork would be prohibited, if the council goes ahead with its plans.

But a spokesman for Max Cabs, in Accrington, said the move would ‘kill or cripple an already struggling trade’, and questioned the motive of the council.

He said: “Taxis are exempt from MOTs, but they have an MOT-style check by the council twice a year, and three times when they reach a certain age.

“They are the safest cars on the road and if they have passed the test, what does age matter?”

“We carry out 25,000 journeys a week and have 400 taxis on the road between 6am and 9am taking people to school and work.”

Most drivers at the firm would not be able to afford to buy a newer vehicle without passing that cost on the customer, the spokesman added.

Deputy leader of Hyndburn Council, Clare Pritchard, denied the council was trying to reduce the number of taxis on the road to encourage residents to use the upcoming £40m Pennine Reach bus services, or that it was retaliating after a blunder left the council facing a £200,000 bill because it failed to advertise increases in taxi licensing fees.

Coun Pritchard said: “There is nothing to retaliate against. It was a simple administrative mistake and we are paying the money back.

“There’s no benefit to us whether people use the bus service or taxis, we just want the highest standard of transport in Hyndburn.

“This is about providing a comprehensive plan. We have several policies hanging around and this will bring it into one complete policy. I would hope it would improve standards.”

Leader of the opposition, Peter Britcliffe, called the consultation ‘bureaucracy gone mad’.

He said: “This is victimising the taxi drivers. The consultation should end now and the policy should not change.

“What difference does a car’s age make as long as it is fit to drive? In terms of advertising, we know it’s a very competitive market. Taxis are extremely cheap in Hyndburn so why prevent drivers from getting extra from adverts?”

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:33am Sun 8 Dec 13

Izanears says...

I have no problems with taxis carrying adverts if it helps to keep fares down, but I totally agree with newer and mechanically sound vehicles being purchased. Personally I would like to see London style cabs used because in truth many taxis at present seem to be little more than family cars with a sign on.
A spokesman said that ' taxis are the safest cars on the road and if they have passed the test, what does age matter' if this so why do so many taxis (in nearly every town in East Lancs, regularly fail spot checks. The other day I passed a taxi rank. The drivers were sat chatting in each other cars. I could not help but wonder if their time could not have been better spent checking over their vehicles.
I have no problems with taxis carrying adverts if it helps to keep fares down, but I totally agree with newer and mechanically sound vehicles being purchased. Personally I would like to see London style cabs used because in truth many taxis at present seem to be little more than family cars with a sign on. A spokesman said that ' taxis are the safest cars on the road and if they have passed the test, what does age matter' if this so why do so many taxis (in nearly every town in East Lancs, regularly fail spot checks. The other day I passed a taxi rank. The drivers were sat chatting in each other cars. I could not help but wonder if their time could not have been better spent checking over their vehicles. Izanears

11:41am Sun 8 Dec 13

drunken donut says...

Take them all off the road, most of them are not fit to be on the roads anyway. Last 2 New Years eve, taxi booked never showed, let them go bust couldn't care less.
Take them all off the road, most of them are not fit to be on the roads anyway. Last 2 New Years eve, taxi booked never showed, let them go bust couldn't care less. drunken donut

12:12pm Sun 8 Dec 13

HarryBosch says...

A spokesman for Max says " The policy will kill or cripple an already struggling trade" before going on to say "We carry out 25, 000 journey's a week with 400 taxis on the road between 6am and 9pm taking people to school and work".
That doesn't sound to me like a struggling trade in a town like Accrington! So which is it? Taxis and private hire vehicles NEED to be the safest vehicles on the road simply because they have a responsibility to the passengers who use them.
So to the question of age - will an age policy improve the state of Hyndburn's taxi trade? IMO no it won't. What will, however, is to change the attitude of vehicle owners and operators to stop running vehicles from council test to council test and to employ a programme of continuous maintenance. Too many owners simply run their vehicles between tests and repair them and make them ready for the test and then forget about them until the next test is due. That is why, when the police and council run an operation they find so many vehicles which shouldn't be on the road. Regular maintenance is the key and it is the responsibility of the vehicle owners and not down to the council having to impose restrictions.
A spokesman for Max says " The policy will kill or cripple an already struggling trade" before going on to say "We carry out 25, 000 journey's a week with 400 taxis on the road between 6am and 9pm taking people to school and work". That doesn't sound to me like a struggling trade in a town like Accrington! So which is it? Taxis and private hire vehicles NEED to be the safest vehicles on the road simply because they have a responsibility to the passengers who use them. So to the question of age - will an age policy improve the state of Hyndburn's taxi trade? IMO no it won't. What will, however, is to change the attitude of vehicle owners and operators to stop running vehicles from council test to council test and to employ a programme of continuous maintenance. Too many owners simply run their vehicles between tests and repair them and make them ready for the test and then forget about them until the next test is due. That is why, when the police and council run an operation they find so many vehicles which shouldn't be on the road. Regular maintenance is the key and it is the responsibility of the vehicle owners and not down to the council having to impose restrictions. HarryBosch

1:03pm Sun 8 Dec 13

AlifromIsrael says...

WELL AT LAST SOMETHING IS GOING TO BE DONE WITH THE TAXI'S..............
....................
.......hopefully.

For too long we have had to put up with taxi's which are up to the standard you expect in 3rd world countries, such as Pakistan.
It's time to make the owners realise if you want to live in the U/K your standards must be up to the U/K standard............
...........or else take your taxi and work in Pakistan.

If they think their taxi's are OK ...HOW MANY FAIL ROAD SIDE CHECKS each year?
WELL AT LAST SOMETHING IS GOING TO BE DONE WITH THE TAXI'S.............. .................... .......hopefully. For too long we have had to put up with taxi's which are up to the standard you expect in 3rd world countries, such as Pakistan. It's time to make the owners realise if you want to live in the U/K your standards must be up to the U/K standard............ ...........or else take your taxi and work in Pakistan. If they think their taxi's are OK ...HOW MANY FAIL ROAD SIDE CHECKS each year? AlifromIsrael

3:18pm Sun 8 Dec 13

Blackburnley says...

It is not being suggested that adverts on taxis should be banned. The proposal is to ban adverts on the glasswork. It is a sensible safety move to remove anything from any vehicles glasswork that could obstruct the drivers line of vision.
It is not being suggested that adverts on taxis should be banned. The proposal is to ban adverts on the glasswork. It is a sensible safety move to remove anything from any vehicles glasswork that could obstruct the drivers line of vision. Blackburnley

3:25pm Sun 8 Dec 13

burner says...

I wouldn't choose to drive an old car so I would never ride in an old cab. 3 years is a reasonable limit. You wouldn't buy a 3 day old loaf, would you ?
I wouldn't choose to drive an old car so I would never ride in an old cab. 3 years is a reasonable limit. You wouldn't buy a 3 day old loaf, would you ? burner

3:59pm Sun 8 Dec 13

churchman says...

totally agree with the plans.some taxi,s in accrington are clapped out death machines.and as for max taxi owner comments,most of his drive like mad men as if they own the bloody road.i have seen better drivers in tunisia,and that takes some beating.
totally agree with the plans.some taxi,s in accrington are clapped out death machines.and as for max taxi owner comments,most of his drive like mad men as if they own the bloody road.i have seen better drivers in tunisia,and that takes some beating. churchman

4:04pm Sun 8 Dec 13

ron1946 says...

years ago indigenous taxi proprietors left the trade because they realised they could not make enough to give their families a good living standard the problem asian males have is that not enough jobs where you can sit down all day ,has anyone seen an asian digging up a road .if you don't want to follow the rules get a proper job.
years ago indigenous taxi proprietors left the trade because they realised they could not make enough to give their families a good living standard the problem asian males have is that not enough jobs where you can sit down all day ,has anyone seen an asian digging up a road .if you don't want to follow the rules get a proper job. ron1946

5:06pm Sun 8 Dec 13

patriotno1 says...

well said ron.whinge,whinge that is all we hear from them.if they cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen!.oh i forgot they cannot even get out of their taxis,they just stop where ever they want to pick up a fare.
well said ron.whinge,whinge that is all we hear from them.if they cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen!.oh i forgot they cannot even get out of their taxis,they just stop where ever they want to pick up a fare. patriotno1

6:11pm Sun 8 Dec 13

AlifromIsrael says...

ron1946 wrote:
years ago indigenous taxi proprietors left the trade because they realised they could not make enough to give their families a good living standard the problem asian males have is that not enough jobs where you can sit down all day ,has anyone seen an asian digging up a road .if you don't want to follow the rules get a proper job.
I don't think they know which end to hold the shovel.......

Never seen one working in a garden, or cutting the lawn either.
[quote][p][bold]ron1946[/bold] wrote: years ago indigenous taxi proprietors left the trade because they realised they could not make enough to give their families a good living standard the problem asian males have is that not enough jobs where you can sit down all day ,has anyone seen an asian digging up a road .if you don't want to follow the rules get a proper job.[/p][/quote]I don't think they know which end to hold the shovel....... Never seen one working in a garden, or cutting the lawn either. AlifromIsrael

6:59pm Sun 8 Dec 13

keep rishton in hyndburn says...

Hope they plan to do the same with the busses
Hope they plan to do the same with the busses keep rishton in hyndburn

7:32pm Sun 8 Dec 13

Pendle power says...

Agree with Alifromisrael - only problem is we pay Pakistan priced fares for the taxis aswell. It's much cheaper than public transport. Nobody wants to pay an extra penny never mind a pound.
Agree with Alifromisrael - only problem is we pay Pakistan priced fares for the taxis aswell. It's much cheaper than public transport. Nobody wants to pay an extra penny never mind a pound. Pendle power

7:35pm Sun 8 Dec 13

Pendle power says...

I agree with Alifromisrael but only problem is we pay 3rd world prices for the taxis in Accrington. Who's willing to pay an extra £1 for the fare because a new car is not going to fly out of the sky.
I agree with Alifromisrael but only problem is we pay 3rd world prices for the taxis in Accrington. Who's willing to pay an extra £1 for the fare because a new car is not going to fly out of the sky. Pendle power

7:53pm Sun 8 Dec 13

denidenideni says...

An while they are changing the rules, fit ALL taxis with tachograph style recorders so the police can see how often they are speeding around the towns in lancashire, and the tax man can see the amount of journeys they are rally making!!!
An while they are changing the rules, fit ALL taxis with tachograph style recorders so the police can see how often they are speeding around the towns in lancashire, and the tax man can see the amount of journeys they are rally making!!! denidenideni

8:16pm Sun 8 Dec 13

Akkybro says...

As someone has commented earlier, will the buses have to renew too? some are well over 15 years old and carry a lot more passengers so you'd think the same rule will apply.

But I wouldn't count on it.
As someone has commented earlier, will the buses have to renew too? some are well over 15 years old and carry a lot more passengers so you'd think the same rule will apply. But I wouldn't count on it. Akkybro

9:24pm Sun 8 Dec 13

burner says...

denidenideni wrote:
An while they are changing the rules, fit ALL taxis with tachograph style recorders so the police can see how often they are speeding around the towns in lancashire, and the tax man can see the amount of journeys they are rally making!!!
Top point . . . . the technology is out there AND affordable.
[quote][p][bold]denidenideni[/bold] wrote: An while they are changing the rules, fit ALL taxis with tachograph style recorders so the police can see how often they are speeding around the towns in lancashire, and the tax man can see the amount of journeys they are rally making!!![/p][/quote]Top point . . . . the technology is out there AND affordable. burner

9:40pm Sun 8 Dec 13

patriotno1 says...

pendle power."we pay pakistan prices"you nerd.and do we xxit in a hole in the ground.
pendle power."we pay pakistan prices"you nerd.and do we xxit in a hole in the ground. patriotno1

9:54pm Sun 8 Dec 13

willie eckerslike says...

2014 is the age of the train, "AND SOME ARE EVEN OLDER !!!"
2014 is the age of the train, "AND SOME ARE EVEN OLDER !!!" willie eckerslike

10:20pm Sun 8 Dec 13

timeforcommonsense says...

It won't happen. Whenever the councils talk about getting tough the taxi drivers spit their dummies out and the council, terrified of the prospect of being branded racist, back down and leave standards as they are. LOW. If you ask me it's about time their was a paper trail and drivers were made to hand out receipts and keep records of all fares.
It won't happen. Whenever the councils talk about getting tough the taxi drivers spit their dummies out and the council, terrified of the prospect of being branded racist, back down and leave standards as they are. LOW. If you ask me it's about time their was a paper trail and drivers were made to hand out receipts and keep records of all fares. timeforcommonsense

10:56pm Sun 8 Dec 13

Pendle power says...

patriotno1 wrote:
pendle power."we pay pakistan prices"you nerd.and do we xxit in a hole in the ground.
Well fares start at 100 rupees which is £1.50 and many a night passengers have either wet their pants or xxit in them . However they still drop them off outside their houses. Providing an invaluable service to your night out.
[quote][p][bold]patriotno1[/bold] wrote: pendle power."we pay pakistan prices"you nerd.and do we xxit in a hole in the ground.[/p][/quote]Well fares start at 100 rupees which is £1.50 and many a night passengers have either wet their pants or xxit in them . However they still drop them off outside their houses. Providing an invaluable service to your night out. Pendle power

1:38am Mon 9 Dec 13

NorthernVoice says...

Wait, a £200,000 bill is "a simple administrative mistake"?
Wait, a £200,000 bill is "a simple administrative mistake"? NorthernVoice

9:34am Mon 9 Dec 13

bigste says...

Should be 3 or 4 years old maximum. Drivers should be in uniform so they are reconisable and there should be a monthly test.
Should be 3 or 4 years old maximum. Drivers should be in uniform so they are reconisable and there should be a monthly test. bigste

9:54am Mon 9 Dec 13

AnthonyUK says...

Does it matter on the age of a vehicle? As long as it's maintained and fit and safe for transportation who cares?
Does it matter on the age of a vehicle? As long as it's maintained and fit and safe for transportation who cares? AnthonyUK

1:41pm Mon 9 Dec 13

peely says...

Ricks haws wouldn't,t be a bad idea but then again maybe a bit cold in winter !
Ricks haws wouldn't,t be a bad idea but then again maybe a bit cold in winter ! peely

4:16pm Mon 9 Dec 13

stupidisasstupiddoes says...

I am astonished at the amount of openly racist comments on here, absolutely disgusting you should be ashamed, half the people here talking such filth probably eat kebabs, use taxis and buy bread milk etc from "Asians" you say the taxis are from the stone age so are your attitudes disgusting people!!
I am astonished at the amount of openly racist comments on here, absolutely disgusting you should be ashamed, half the people here talking such filth probably eat kebabs, use taxis and buy bread milk etc from "Asians" you say the taxis are from the stone age so are your attitudes disgusting people!! stupidisasstupiddoes

4:24pm Mon 9 Dec 13

ron1946 says...

stupidisasstupiddoes wrote:
I am astonished at the amount of openly racist comments on here, absolutely disgusting you should be ashamed, half the people here talking such filth probably eat kebabs, use taxis and buy bread milk etc from "Asians" you say the taxis are from the stone age so are your attitudes disgusting people!!
no just stating facts doesn't make you a racist
[quote][p][bold]stupidisasstupiddoes[/bold] wrote: I am astonished at the amount of openly racist comments on here, absolutely disgusting you should be ashamed, half the people here talking such filth probably eat kebabs, use taxis and buy bread milk etc from "Asians" you say the taxis are from the stone age so are your attitudes disgusting people!![/p][/quote]no just stating facts doesn't make you a racist ron1946

8:07pm Mon 9 Dec 13

churchman says...

stupidisasstupiddoes

never mind the old goodie two shoes racist remarks.it is old news now.people now more aware of our asian input into this country,instead of nerds like you hitting us with the racist crap,i have lots of asian mates,and not one does a job that tax is taken out of a monthly wage packet,they all do jobs that are self declaring income.enough said
stupidisasstupiddoes never mind the old goodie two shoes racist remarks.it is old news now.people now more aware of our asian input into this country,instead of nerds like you hitting us with the racist crap,i have lots of asian mates,and not one does a job that tax is taken out of a monthly wage packet,they all do jobs that are self declaring income.enough said churchman

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree