Neighbour pulls man from burning Atherton flat

Crews from Atherton and Leigh fire stations attended

Crews from Atherton and Leigh fire stations attended

First published in North West
Last updated

A MAN was pulled to safety by a neighbour after a chip pan caught fire in his Atherton flat.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) were called at around 4.20am on Sunday when a fire broke out in a ground-floor flat on Bolton Road.

Crews from Atherton and Leigh fire stations arrived at the address and found that a man had already been pulled out of his flat by his neighbour.

Crew Manager Dave Morris, from Atherton, said: "We cannot praise the brave neighbour enough - if it wasn't for his quick actions the man, who we believe is in his forties, may not have been so lucky.

"The neighbour was from the flat above and smelled smoke, so he came down to see what was happening. When he realised there was a fire he kicked in the door and pulled his neighbour out of the property to safety.

"A GMFRS Trauma Technician gave first aid to the man who had the fire before paramedics took him to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation."

The fire started when a chip pan was switched on and left unattended and firefighters tackled it wearing breathing apparatus and using a hose reel.

GMFRS Director of Prevention and Protection Geoff Harris said: "Chip pans are incredibly dangerous and this man is lucky to be alive.

"If you have a chip pan replace it with a safer way of cooking like a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer."

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree