ROADS in Leigh and Atherton will be closed on Sunday morning as Ironman UK returns to the area.
The race event will see hundreds of participants swim 2.4 miles in Pennington Flash, cycle 112 miles through Leigh and Atherton and run 26 miles through Chorley before finishing in Bolton.
Prior to the event starting the following roads will be closed to traffic for the safety of competitors, spectators and motorists:
- St Helens Road, Leigh from its junction with Pennington Flash Access Road to its junction with Atherleigh Way
- Atherleigh Way, Leigh from its junction with St Helens Road to its junction with Wigan Road Atherton
- Gibfield Park Way, Atherton from its junction with Wigan Road to its junction with Gibfield Park Avenue
- Gibfield Park Avenue, Atherton from its junction with Gibfield Park Way to its junction with North Road
- North Road, Atherton from its junction with Colliery Lane to its junction with Platt Lane, Westhoughton
All roads are expected to be open by noon as the race continues into Bolton and Chorley areas.
Traffic will be diverted using Bag Lane, Gloucester Street, Wigan Road, Mealhouse Lane, Market Street and Leigh Road in Atherton and Market Street, Market Place, King Street and St Helens Road in Leigh.
For more information on road closures, visit wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Parking-Roads-Travel/Roads/Roadworks-bulletin.aspx.