Ngog and Alonso... now watch them go

First published in Sport The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , chief football writer

DOUGIE Freedman has backed David Ngog and Marcos Alonso to shine now that transfer window speculation has been put to bed.

The Wanderers pair were strongly linked with moves elsewhere on the final day of the window but will now remain at the Reebok at least until the summer.

And Freedman, who takes his squad to Watford today looking for a first league win of 2013, believes both players can now thrive with their immediate future secured.

Alonso had been chased by Fiorentina, Nottingham Forest and Stoke City, among others, and has rejected the offer of a new contract with the Whites. But none of the 22-year-old’s suitors produced a bid of sufficient value to tempt Wanderers into selling him before the summer, when they would be due a payment settled by tribunal.

The club have not given up hope of convincing him to sign a new deal, and Freedman insists he can still improve the former Real Madrid starlet further.

“ I feel that we can get the best out of his game,” he said. “He is fitting into a structure.

“We must have a structure these players understand. And if they are talented they will show us how good we are.

“Marcos feels comfortable in this structure and it is benefiting him.

“Marcos has expressed an interest to play in the Premier League, that’s why he came here from Real Madrid. We can’t offer that right now.

“But he has seen signs we are starting to get where we want to be, even if the league table doesn’t suggest that.

“Marcos is very comfortable with his decision whether he stays now or he leaves. We have offered him a contract, albeit a Championship contract. If he buys into that fantastic, if he doesn’t his contract is up in the summer.”

Ngog was subject of a rejected loan bid from Fulham on Wednesday night but Freedman had hinted during the day that it may have been difficult to hold off the London club’s advances had they upped their offer.

Fulham did not come back with a bigger bid but the Wanderers boss insisted the striker was not being touted for a move.

“I think he is a young guy who has grown into his game,” Freedman said. “It was just an enquiry (from Fulham). He is not for sale right now.

“If Fulham had made an offer we felt was right for David and the club then you have to look at it.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree