Scott Quigg goes straight back into the ring
BURY’S new world champion, Scott Quigg, has been given a high-profile fight on the undercard of next month’s Carl Froch-George Groves bout in Manchester.
The 25-year-old impressed in keeping the WBA super-bantamweight title he had been given by default in a majority draw decision against Yoandris Salinas nine days ago Saturday.
Many observers thought the Bury man had done enough to win that fight.
But he announced himself, nevertheless, as a rising star of the British fight scene with a measured performance that saw him gradually dismantle the previously unbeaten Cuban and totally dominate the later stages of the fight.
Quigg will have little rest after being earmarked over the weekend to fight a so-far unnamed opponent on the same November 23 card that sees Froch defend his WBA and IBF super-middleweight titles against Groves at the Phones 4u Arena.
“It’s great to be out again so soon, and in Manchester too,” he said.
“It’s going to be a massive occasion with Carl and George’s fight set to be one of the biggest in Britain for a long time, so I’m thrilled to be involved.
“I was a bit gutted not to get the ‘W’ against Salinas as I felt that I deserved it.
“That fight is in the past now though and I’m ready to defend my belt and do so in style.”
Promoter Eddie Hearn said: “I’m delighted to add Scott to the huge bill. He’s already in the gym raring to go.”