Leigh Centurions battle back to show their title credentials against Halifax in the Kingstone Press Championship

Ryan Brierley set up a try for Sam Barlow

Ryan Brierley set up a try for Sam Barlow

First published in Sport
Last updated

Halifax 28 Leigh Centurions 36

LEIGH Centurions mounted a superb second half comeback to claim victory at the Shay to extend their winning run to eight games in the Kingstone Press Championship.

Both teams threw a lot at each other in the opening stages before Halifax took control.
The hosts hit the front after 15 minutes when Andy Bracek raced over for Steve Tyrer to hit the first of four goals.

The next try came as a result of slow reactions from Leigh. Adam Higson came in with a try saving tackle on Tyrer and the ball went loose for Ross Divorty to chip over the defence and the conversion made it 12-0.

Halifax continued their dominance with a quick try double for Ryan Fieldhouse before the game descended into a running battle.

Sam Barlow and Andy Bracek were sinbinned for their part in a skirmish before the game broke up again when a clash between Tony Tonks and Jake Emmitt resulted in a yellow card for Tonks and Jamie Acton.

Leigh gave their big following hope before half time when Ryan Brierley launched a big kick and Sam Barlow leapt higher than Fieldhouse to claim his first try for Leigh with Martyn Ridyard goaling to make it 24-6 at the break.

Still facing a mountain to climb, Leigh claimed first blood when Ridyard put Tommy Goulden over after an incisive run from Tom Armstrong.

Leigh launched a further attack minutes later and after Ridyard saw his move break down, Matthew Sarsfield claimed a zero tackle try.

At this point Sam Barlow was sent off for punching while in the process of being substituted but this seemed to lift the Centurions to another level.
Adam Higson ran down the right and got the ball in field for Ryan Brierley to kick forward and win the race to level.

Brierley, Ridyard and Gregg McNally kept the ball alive for Armstrong to finish strongly in the corner for Ridyard to goal.

Brierley then dashed clear from halfway thanks to Higson with Ridyard slotting over his sixth goal.

Although Halifax pulled a try back from Ben Heaton, Leigh held their nerve to claim an important win

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree