WANDERERS owner Eddie Davies and chairman Phil Gartside watched on as Dougie Freedman’s side sunk to a fourth defeat of the season at Elland Road.

Former loan defender Stephen Warnock inflicted the killer blow early in the first half, although Joe Mason in particular wasted a number of excellent opportunities for the Whites.

Neil Redfearn, who started his playing career at Burnden Park in the early 80s had stepped into the breach for Leeds after Dave Hockaday was sacked in midweek.

And he will be delighted with what he got, as the Yorkshiremen put together a performance that roused the loud home support.

But what the result means for Freedman, whose side head into the international break with just one point from five games, remains to be seen.

The first half was a familiar tale of missed chances and poor defending as Leeds cantered to a half-time advantage.

David Wheater limped off just seven minutes in with what looked like a back injury, replaced by Dorian Dervite.

Joe Mason then saw an angled shot pushed on to the crossbar by Leeds keeper Marco Silvestri – the first of a hat-trick of chances spurned by the on-loan Cardiff City striker.

Youngster Hayden White was reinstated at right-back but he found himself swamped in the build-up to the opening goal as Mirco Antenucci and Billy Sharp took maximum advantage of space on the edge of the box to present a chance for ex-Wanderers loanee Stephen Warnock to drill home from an acute angle.

Whether it was a cross or a shot is debatable but Freedman’s side had work to do in order to get back into the game.

Managerless Leeds – themselves without half a dozen first team regulars – moved the ball around well in midfield.

Wanderers tried to hit on the break but while Craig Davies worked hard against Giuseppe Bellusci, he got little support.

Mason got his best view of goal with five minutes left in the half. Again Davies outmuscled Bellusci but with plenty to aim at, Mason could only poke his shot straight at the keeper.

And in injury time, Silvestri was called upon again to block an effort from the former Republic of Ireland Under-21 international at his near post.

Wanderers emerged for the second half with some renewed purpose, and Mason again on the hunt after Spearing’s low shot had been pushed away by Silvestri. Only Jason Pearce’s excellent challenge prevented a tap-in.

While the Leeds defence looked susceptible to pace, they were doing just enough to maintain a clean sheet.

Silvestri made another sprawling save from Chung-Yong before Pearce stuck out a boot to block Mason’s route on goal for the second time in 10 minutes.

Freedman waited until the 77th minute before bringing on Jermaine Beckford, who had scored twice in midweek at Crewe.

He got one brief glimpse of goal with six minutes left but then sparked anger among the Wanderers fans after responding to a Leeds chant with a wave of the hand.

He could have made amends at the bitter end with a header from point blank range that was blocked by Silvestri, who then did superbly to get up and block the follow-up by Chung-Yong on the line.