Khan camp had no faith in fair hearing
10:40am Thursday 19th January 2012 in Boxing
AMIR Khan pulled out of yesterday’s IBF appeal hearing into his defeat to Lamont Peterson last month because the star’s promoter feared the hearing would be “one sided” and “not fully transparent.”
Khan, along with his father, Shah, and business manager, Asif Vali, flew to the United States on Tuesday ahead of the hearing in New Jersey, only for it to be cancelled at the 11th hour.
Golden Boy Promotions released a statement outlining their reasons and chief executive Richard Schaefer has revealed they feared they would not get a fair hearing.
The referee from the fight, Joe Cooper, and World Boxing Association (WBA) supervisor, Michael Welsh, would not have been present at the hearing. Cooper has been accused by Khan of unfairly docking him two points in the split decision loss, while Welsh was the man seen being approached and allegedly interfered with by “mystery man” Mustafa Ameen, who had no apparent reason to be there.
A statement from Golden Boy read: “Due to the fact that there was only to be partial representation of fight officials of the bout at the appeal hearing before the International Boxing Federation (IBF), Golden Boy Promotions and Team Khan have decided to withdraw their appeal and focus their full attention on Amir’s next fight.”
Schaefer said: “You have certain officials who were going to be there telling their side of the story, and you have others which were not going to be there.
“I think that the bottom line is that that would result in a one-sided story, and I have shared my views on this particular subject with the IBF president Daryl Peoples.
“I told him that if he was in fact going to have certain people there, and others not, then that does not sound as if there was a fully transparent meeting because only part of the story was going to to be told.”