TURTON manager Neil Johnson says Saturday’s 2-0 home victory against BAC/EE Preston was a fitting tribute to former club chairman Martin Vizzard, who died last Monday.

In what Johnson admitted was an emotionally-charged day at Thomasson Fold, first-half goals from Kieran Sisson and Dave Hanlon gave the hosts the Division One win they wanted to honour Vizzard, who stepped down in the summer because of a brain tumour but lost his four-year battle last week, aged just 39.

Johnson said: “It was always going to be a difficult and emotionally-charged day after Martin’s death. It made the team talk very easy, though – the lads wanted to win for him.

“Members of his family were there and the lads wore T-shirts in his memory before the game and there was an impeccable minute’s applause beforehand.

“The game itself was even against a side who are in-form and had hammered us at their place earlier in the season.”

Kieran Sisson scored a wonderful solo goal, running from halfway past several players to finish on 20 minutes.

Dave Hanlon got on the end of a good cross from Ally Dickson 10 minutes later to double the lead from five yards.

“It remained close to the end and we led a charmed life in the second half, but also threatened ourselves,” added Johnson.

“The win was just what we wanted on the day and hopefully we can use it as motivation for the rest of the league season and in the Hospital Cup.

“It was certainly a day that left me proud to be associated with the club on and off the field.”

Elsewhere in the division, Bolton County scored three first-half goals at bottom club Millom to secure three points from their long trip to Cumbria.

Matt Holmroyd opened the scoring from the penalty spot on 15 minutes after Tom Aspen had been brought down in the box.

The hosts were reduced to 10 men soon after before an own goal doubled County’s lead on the half hour.

A fine team goal, finished off by Liam Stewart five minutes before the break, made for a comfortable second-half against a side under new management.

County boss Henry Chapman will now turn his team’s focus to tomorrow night’s trip to Castle Hill in the Hospital Cup.

In the Premier Division, Eagley went down 2-0 at home to Garstang, while Tempest United had a weekend without a game.

In Division Two, it was a game of two halves for CMB in their home clash with second-placed GSK Ulverston Rangers.

The visitors took advantage of the conditions in the first half and went in three goals to the good.

With the wind in their favour after the interval, CMB peppered the Ulverston goal but could not make their chances pay and ended up losing 3-0.

Meanwhile, Stoneclough lost 4-0 at league leaders Askam United and Ladybridge did not play.