Former Shakers will hit the ground running, says Blackwell
KEVIN Blackwell has wasted little time in putting his survival plan into action after the club’s transfer embargo was lifted last Friday, with the loan signings of Peterborough forward Nicky Ajose and Blackpool defender Ashley Eastham.
The Ajose deal has been agreed in principle and the 21-year-old former Manchester United reserve player is expected to complete his signing tomorrow, while Eastham, also 21, arrived on Monday.
The pair, who have both enjoyed successful loan spells at Gigg Lane over the past few seasons, will slot straight into the Bury squad for Saturday’s crunch relegation battle at Shrewsbury.
“The fact that both have been here before was very important,” said Blackwell.
“These boys are good young players who know their way around the place so should be able to hit the ground running.”
Eastham scored two goals in 27 appearances during his first loan spell at Gigg Lane last season, while Bury-born Ajose was a popular member of the League Two promotion side in 2010/11, scoring 13 goals in 28 appearances on loan from United.
“Our problems in defence and attack have been well-documented,” said Blackwell, “so these two boys fit the bill. Ashley is an aggressive young centre-half, while Nicky has real quality at this level.”
Two other loanees, Gregg Wylde and Troy Hewitt, have returned to their parent clubs, Bolton Wanderers and QPR.
And Marcus Marshall also looks to be on his way out of Gigg Lane after Bury accepted a cash offer from Luton.
The 23-year-old midfielder, who is out of contract in the summer, was recalled from a season-long loan at fellow Bleu Square Bet Premier side Grimsby earlier this week but the player remained locked in discussion with Luton yesterday over personal terms.
Blackwell, however, has already moved on to his next targets as he bids to bring his squad up to 18, with triallists flying in from Greece, Spain and Sweden this week.