LiveMATCHDAY: Torquay United v Bury

First published in Bury FC
Last updated

This live event has finished


Initial Torquay United statement:"Referee Dave Phillips carried out his first inspection at 9am and then looked again at midday deciding the surface was not safe for the players.

"The ground staff at Plainmoor have worked tirelessly to improve the main problem areas but the pitch was deemed too wet by the officials."





@InsidePlainmoor: Our pitch was inspected by a referee yesterday. Another inspection today at 9am & midday. Ground staff work tirelessly to get the game ahead.


Bury fans can at least console themselves they are not Arsenal fans, who made an early morning trip up to Liverpool to see their side 4-0 down inside 20 minutes.



Both sides have issued apologies to fans via social media.

i will publish those below, as well as response from Bury fans, which, as you may imagine, are a little on the angry side.


Torquay United are busy drawing up an official statement, which should be online soon.

Hopefully that will include a response from the referee, explaining why he delayed making a decision after first inspecting the pitch at 9am.

That is the question most fans who made the trip down today want answering.



It was always going to be a tough call for the referee. Nightmare scenario for the fans travelling down, but those who stayed over in Torquay last night would have been furious if the game was called off at 9am and the weather conditions subsequently improved.

Tough call.




Managed to reach Thornbury, just before Bristol on the M5, before turning round. 

Quotes from Torquay United expected soon.


Torquay United v Bury has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Referee Dave Phillips made the decision after a 12pm pitch inspection.

That followed an earlier inspection at 9am, which was inconclusive.

But with subsequent heavy showers and a storm predicted later on this afternoon, it was decided to call the match off.


Match off.

more to follow


Expecting pitch inspection update soon. Weather in Torquay sounds nasty but hard to say which way this one is going to go.


Went past Molineux on our detour. Still waiting to get on the M5 - only an hour to go til the next pitch inspection. #awaydays


Just to make this trip to Devon more exciting, we are now going on a magical mystery tour of Telford to beat the queues caused by the closure of the M6 at Cannock. 

All the fun of the football fair!


Second pitch inspection has now been put back to midday. 

It looks like the referee is doing his best to get this one on, but the afternoon's weather may well have the final say.

A big storm is reportedly set to hit the south coast later on today and by all accounts it is already raining heavily in Torquay. 

More to follow.


The referee has just done his hourly check, which has proved inconclusive. The next one is due at 11am although it is now understood to be raining heavily in Torquay. 


Match referee Dave Phillips has delayed his decision on the pitch for today's Bury match at Torquay until 10am.

Phillips performed an inspection at 9am and was said to be unsure about certain areas, which had been under cover to protect them from overnight rain.

More to follow.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree