Football League refuses Bury manager David Flitcroft's call to extend the season
THE Football League has rebuffed Bury manager David Flitcroft’s call to extend the season.
Flitcroft demanded action after Bristol Rovers’ planned visit to the JD Stadium on Saturday became the Shakers’ fifth match in their last seven fixtures postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
Bury travel to Accrington Stanley tomorrow night for the first of a run of rearranged fixtures.
In fact, Flitcroft’s side have just one free Tuesday up until April 1 – the new date today pencilled in by the Football League for the visit of Bristol Rovers.
While Flitcroft has been forced to reluctantly accept the crammed fixture list, he wants the Football League to come up with a contingency plan in the event that further fixtures are lost due to the current bad weather.
“This is the time to plan something now that supersedes these games being called off because there are going to be two or three more (postponements) between now and the end of the month, I’m sure,” he said.
“The season, in my view, has to be extended.”
But a spokesman for the Football League said the situation, at present, was not considered to be serious enough.
“Weather conditions have been particularly testing in many areas of the country this winter leading to a number of postponed matches,” he said.
“However, the League is confident that all remaining fixtures can be played in sufficient time and there are no plans to extend the season.”
Flitcroft fears his side, who are battling to avoid relegation, could be asked to play three games in a week if they lose too many more matches to the weather.
Such a situation could put Bury’s position in the Football League in jeopardy.
But the Shakers have five free midweek dates between now and the end of the season and the Football League spokesman believes Flitcroft’s nightmare scenario was unlikely to arise.
“It is true that we have had a high number of postponements in a short space of time, but the total number of outstanding fixtures is still not as high as what we have faced in the past,” he added.
“So at this moment their are no alarm bells ringing.
“But we have a fixtures team dedicated to looking at this issue and we will of course continue to monitor the situation.”
Accrington were today confident tomorrow night's match would go ahead as scheduled, despite further heavy rain forecast.
Bury have no fresh injury concerns following an enforced two-week lay-off, while midfielder Danny Mayor is set to return from suspension.
Comments are closed on this article.