HORWICH Hockey Club's Ladies team made it three successive wins with a 7-0 victory against University of Manchester thirds.

Second-placed Horwich were looking to push for top spot in Greater Manchester Hockey League Women's Division Three and they were on top form despite the wet and windy weather on Sunday.

Horwich pressured the University defence to steal the ball early on and a quickly-taken free hit from outside the D led to a shot on goal.

Shannon Leeson was quick to react to the rebound off the keeper to make it 1-0 to Horwich. 

Horwich continued to take control of the game, passing the ball around well.

And after a driving run, Zoe Bluer beat two defenders then hitting a powerful strike to score Horwich’s second goal.

The University side were powerless to stop the Horwich attack and a nice pass from Aimee Gilmour set up Helen Roocroft to make it 3-0 at half time.

The hosts came out fighting in the second half but Zoe Dudley in goal was up to the task and made some excellent saves. Chrissy Sanderson also worked hard in defence, stopping the University attack and getting the ball clear.

Kelly Urmston controlled the Horwich midfield comfortably, playing the ball out to the attackers.

Bluer continued to drive at the University defence with pace and power, this time setting up Heather Glynn for her first goal of the day.

More great work from Bluer led to Glynn's second goal, a powerful strike beating the keeper to make it 5-0, and a well-worked short corner from Roocroft and Bluer made it 6-0.

In the final minutes a nice one-two between Glynn and Roocroft made it 7-0 and a hat-trick for Roocroft.

Horwich's men scored a perfect 10 in their derby at Bolton to maintain their winning start to the season.

The visitors' high pressing game forced an early mistake from the Bolton side, Dan Woodman intercepting a loose pass and finding the back of the net with only two minutes played.

Horwich kept up the pressure but were unable to convert any of the penalty corners they earned. However, they doubled their lead when Woodman found Tony Sanderson and he slotted in.

The game continued to pan out in Horwich's favour, David Whiteside setting up Tom Mair to make it 3-0 at the break.

After half time Mair found the back of the net again, Andy Barr providing the assist, and barely three minutes later Sanderson scored again after catching the Bolton defence sleeping.

From their fifth penalty corner in quick succession, Woodman again set up Sanderson for his hat-trick goal.

Further strikes by Andy Robertson and Whiteside, as well as two for Barr, saw Horwich reach double figures and complete a 10-0 win.

Horwich now top Division 5 North South as the only team to win all their matches.