WANDERERS climbed off the bottom of the Championship table with a gutsy victory over away specialists Norwich City.

Gary Madine and Adam Armstrong scored within five minutes of each other as Bolton finished the first half strongly.

Phil Parkinson’s men were forced to defend well at times against a team which had taken more points away from Carrow Road this season.

But despite Josh Murphy grabbing a consolation in injury time, Wanderers were able to secure their second victory of the campaign – and one which lifts them above Sunderland, who face Middlesbrough tomorrow.

“Nine points from the last five games is a great return and we knew today would either make that run a good one, or just average,” Parkinson told The Bolton News.

“To go into the international break on a high, we haven’t had it this season, is amazing. The performance was about quality and desire and I’m so pleased.

“They are a good team. Look at their away form. We knew it would be difficult but we took the qualities we’ve shown in recent weeks and showed them again to get the result.”

Wanderers had to hold firm under plenty of pressure in the first half an hour and could have fell behind with Cameron Jerome missing two gilt-edged opportunities.

They gradually eased their way into the game and after Sammy Ameobi arrowed a left-footed shot into the side-netting, the Whites seized the advantage.

Ameobi played Darren Pratley in down the right and his inch-perfect cross was turned in by Madine at the near post for his second goal in successive games.

Madine then turned provider five minutes later, cushioning Mark Little’s cross for Armstrong to blast home from the edge of the box for his first league goal at Bolton.

Wanderers protected their lead well in the second half, Ben Alnwick making one stunning double save from Murphy after the midfielder raced clean through on a long ball.

Ameobi should have had a penalty when he was tripped in the 90th minute but a slight lapse in concentration allowed the Canaries to snatch a consolation.

“I’m disappointed, I’ve got to be honest,” said Parkinson. “I said to the lads the concentration levels stop when the ref blows his whistle and not before. If there’s two minutes left after that goal it could have been a very nervy finish.

“As much as I said well done, I think the goal should have been stopped. I also think the ref should have given us a free kick when Sammy was running through on the right-hand side. It should have been all over.”

Referee Stephen Martin made a mess of the pre-match Remembrance Sunday observation and fared little better in the game itself.

Parkinson was unhappy he had not spotted the trip on Ameobi at 2-0.

“When you win you should probably ignore it but I thought we had a certain penalty,” he said. “I can’t believe it. Sammy is going to shoot, he’s not going to go down. Those things can cost you. It should have been 3-0 and game over.”