WANDERERS succumbed to yet more travel sickness despite Marvin Sordell's scoring return at Vicarage Road.

Even though Sordell gave Dougie Freedman's side the lead from the penalty spot after a bright start, their lead lasted only four minutes as Hornets hitman Matej Vydra turned Tim Ream all to easily before finishing neatly past Adam Bodgan.

Wanderers hit the post twice in the second half through Jay Spearing and then Sordell but Watford seized the advantage on 70 minutes when Vydra turned provider for Ahmen Abdi from just inside the penalty box.

Freedman kept faith with the side that had performed well against Everton but named three January signings on the bench.

And though Bogdan was forced into an early save from Troy Deeney, the Whites did look the part early on, playing some neat football.

They deserved the lead when Daniel Pudil barged down Sam Ricketts for a penalty, converted coolly by Sordell in front of the home fans, who had given him a warm reception before the game.

That disappeared instantly when Ream stumbled as he tried to turn with Vydra, and the Czech star rifled his shot past Bogdan.

Spearing went close after the restart when he drove through midfield to hit a left footed shot that clipped off the base of the post.

And Sordell struck the same woodwork nine minutes later with a snap shot from Chung-Yong Lee's pull back.

But Watford always looked a danger going forward, particularly through from two Vydra and Deeney.

Vydra thought he had given the Hornets the lead when he flashed Pudil's cross towards goal, only to be denied by a fine block from Ream.

Moments later he set up Abdi, who gave Bogdan no chance with a fine finish from the edge of the box.

Freedman threw on Craig Davies, Steven de Ridder and Kevin Davies to try and salvage something in the last 20 minutes but it was the home side who finished the stronger.

That leaves Wanderers – who already boast the Championship's worst away record – just three points off the relegation zone and in 20th position.