Wales dealt Charteris blow

Luke Charteris, centre, has been ruled out of the showdown with England

Luke Charteris, centre, has been ruled out of the showdown with England

First published in National Sport News © by

Wales have suffered an injury blow ahead of Sunday's RBS 6 Nations Championship clash against England at Twickenham after lock Luke Charteris was ruled out with a neck problem.

The Welsh Rugby Union announced that Scarlets forward Jake Ball, who started against France last month as a late replacement for Alun-Wyn Jones, will step in for Charteris, with Andrew Coombs moving onto the bench.

The late loss of Perpignan forward Charteris is a blow for Wales, given his line-out expertise, but Ball impressed greatly when he made his first international start in the 27-6 victory over France.

Wales assistant coach Rob Howley said Charteris suffered the injury on Wednesday.

"Luke had a bit of a stinger with his neck on Wednesday in a scrummaging session," Howley told reporters at Wales' training base.

"He has come in today a little bit sore and we have taken the decision early to omit him.

"It is a great opportunity for Jake. I thought he was outstanding in the nuts and bolts of his game against France. He came through with flying colours."

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree