A 78-YEAR-OLD woman escaped unhurt after her toaster caught fire when she left it on her cooker.

Fire crews attended a house in Highgate Lane, Little Hulton, at 12.18pm on Friday after a woman had unknowingly left the toaster on her lit hob.

The woman managed to put out the fire with a pan of water before fire crews arrived.

The toaster and cooker were destroyed.

Dave Holden, watch manager at Atherton Fire Station, said: “She was fine when we got there, but we asked for an ambulance to attend as a precaution.

“If your property catches fire, our message is turn your back on your property and do not try to put the fire out yourself.”