BOLTON boxing sensation Amir Khan has been arrested after allegedly attacking two teenagers in a street assault.

The 27-year-old former world champion and Olympic silver medallist was arrested in the early hours of this morning after an incident in Russell Street, Heaton, as his alleged victims were returning from a nearby mosque.

Police said the two men were hurt but not seriously injured in the incident.

Witnesses said the alleged attack happened after Amir pulled up alongside the group of men in a Mercedes C Class in front of Velden Engineering.

One of the alleged victims is believed to have suffered an injury on his cheek and the other on his leg. The men were known to Amir.

Witnesses claim the incident started when a member of the group was accused of giving “cheek” to a friend of Amir’s.

One man, who wanted to remain anonymous, claimed: “Amir was saying don’t you know who I am, I am AK.

"We have always looked up to him as a role model with him being a Muslim and successful.

"It is going to cause tension in the community. He is a world champion, an adult, the people involved are aged 19.”

A woman, who also did not want to be named, added: “I could hear a lot of noise and I saw Amir’s car.


"Then I saw him get out of the car. Then he drove off and there was a man on the floor.”

A spokesman from Tangerine PR, which represents Amir, said: “Amir Khan was arrested on suspicion of common assault in the early hours of Friday July 4.

"Amir has since been released without charge on bail pending further enquiries. At the stage we are unable to comment further on this matter.”

A police spokesman said: “Just before 1.30am on Friday, police were called following reports of an assault in Bolton.

“Officers attended Russell Street and discovered two 19-year-old men had been assaulted. Their injuries are not serious.

“A 27-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of two section 47 assaults and remains in police custody for questioning.”

A North West Ambulance Service spokesman said an ambulance was requested by police but when paramedics arrived nobody wanted treatment.

Amir was arrested in March, 2006, in Bradshawgate, in Bolton town centre, after a pedestrian was injured in an accident with the boxer’s BMW 654 convertible.

Geoffrey Hatton had to have a metal rod inserted in his leg after the crash.

He has since died, although his death was not due to the crash.

Amir was cleared of dangerous driving but convicted of driving without due care and attention, fined £1,000 and banned from the road for six months.

In October 2012, Amir was knocked to the ground and robbed outside a bar in Birmingham.

Masked men later threatened to attack him via a sinister YouTube message.