A LARGE pile of rubbish caught fire at an industrial estate in Atherton.

The fire started at 7.30am yesterday at a waste compound the Chanters Household Waste Recycling Centre in Arley Way.

It is believed to have started as a result of a build-up of rubbish, which caught fire spontaneously.

Firefighters from Atherton attended the scene and were there for three hours.

Staff at the recycling centre used mechanical diggers to separate the rubbish pile, which enabled firefighters to put out the flames.

A spokesman for Atherton fire station said: "We want to thank workers at the recycling centre for all the help they gave us in tackling this fire."