A SCHEME to preserve the real Coronation Street have been unveiled.

Salford City Council wants to give conservation status to the area surrounding the street in Ordsall.

Coronation Street is in the heart of the estate, which was built around 1900 on the site of an early 19th century Army barracks.

It later gave its name to the world-famous soap written by Salford author Tony Warren.

The city council also wants to preserve Salford Lads Club, which is at the end of Coronation Street.

It has been a mecca for music fans after the building was used on the front cover of The Smiths' album, The Queen Is Dead.

The club's owners are trying to raise £1 million for repairs to the building, which has listed status.

The council's proposals would mean householders in the area, or the owners of the Lads Club, could not alter their properties without council permission.

Known locally as the New Barracks estate, it was Salford's first local authority housing scheme and was notable for its innovation in housing quality and community provision.

The estate was designed by Manchester architect Henry Lord, who was also responsible for a number of other local buildings.