A WANDERERS fan who was found dead in his flat suffered from depression following the deaths of his mother and grandmother — and was also facing cuts to his benefits.

In inquest heard that Stuart Cox took an overdose of prescription drugs — but a coroner ruled his death was accidental.

The 23-year-old was found in his flat in Ainsdale Road, Great Lever, by his friend Jordan Farnworth on June 30 this year.

Police were called and officers found three messages, including ‘thank you’, written in his blood in the bedroom and bathroom.

Test results found that Mr Cox had five times the average amount of Carbamazepine, a drug used to treat seizures and nerve pain, in his system.

Bolton Coroner’s Court heard how he had been struggling since the death of his grandmother — the last member of his immediate family.

The inquest was told he was also facing cuts to his benefits.

Born in Bolton, Mr Cox was brought up by his mother and grandmother.

He left school with no qualifications but, when his mother died of cancer in 2009, became primary carer for his grandmother.

When she died in January this year he had to leave the family home and live on his own.

In a statement read out in court, his aunt Margaret Hilton said: “Stuart’s death was a waste of a life.

“I’d seen him stepping into a downward spiral since he got his flat.

“He’d never accept any help because he just wanted to do whatever he wanted to do.”

Mr Cox was diagnosed with depression by his GP after admitting to low moods and thoughts of suicide.

He later returned to the GP complaining of severe head pains and was prescribed Carbamazepine.

A few weeks before he died, Mr Cox pawned a games console and Mr Farnworth lent him the money to buy it back, agreeing to visit the shop with him on Monday June 29.

But after Mr Cox failed to answer his mobile phone, Mr Farnworth went to check on him the next day.

He found the flat unlocked and Mr Cox lying face down on the bedroom floor.

After attempting to wake him, he called his friend Tracey Gee who rang the emergency services.

Paramedics and police attended the flat, which was described as “un-kept”, littered with discarded beer bottles and cans.

Packets of medication were also found, including all but 10 of the recently prescribed Carbamazepine missing from a packet of 60.

A bathroom mirror had also been smashed but there were no signs of a struggle.

Home office pathologist Dr Naomi Carter told the court there was no trace of alcohol in Mr Cox’s system but that he had taken a number of prescribed drugs, including a very high level of Carbamazepine.

She told the court that an overdose could be toxic and could cause seizures, drowsiness, and coordination problems.

Mr Cox had also sustained injuries including a broken nose and grazing and bruises to his arms and legs, which did not contribute to his death and were caused by falling and walking into objects.

Coroner Alison Merchant said there was no evidence Mr Cox intended to kill himself by taking the overdose.

She recorded a verdict of accidental death.